instalation problem with photoshop elements

Discussion in 'macOS' started by edtarkis, Apr 21, 2010.

1. edtarkis macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I downloaded photoshop elements free trial from the internet on my mac and when i try to open it says this:
    "system requirements error
    this software cannot be installed because the file system of the OS volume is not supported. The OS volume should be local, writable and should have a non case-sensitive file system."
    what should i do to fix it?
    thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can tell us what specific Mac (System Profiler > Hardware Overview will help you there *1) and what specific Mac OS X version ( :apple: > About This Mac *2) you have and what version of PS Elements you want to install.

That way we can see, if you have the requirements.

Also take a look at your HDD (named Macintosh HD or whatever you have chosen) via right clicking on it and selecting Get Info to open the GET INFO window. Then look under Format and tell us what format the HDD has (*3).

Or do you try to install PSE on another HDD?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. edtarkis thread starter macrumors newbie

i downloaded PSE 8

Attached Files:

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Thanks.

Then this is your problem.

[​IMG]

Your installer of PSE 8 says:

"system requirements error this software cannot be installed because the file system of the OS volume is not supported. The OS volume should be local, writable and should have a non case-sensitive file system."

If you really want to use PSE 8, re-format the HDD.

Either backup via Time Machine and re-install the OS, and use Disk Utility during the installation to erase the HDD with the right format (Mac OS Extended (Journaled)) and then migrate from your TM backup.

Or use an external HDD with CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to clone your internal HDD to the external HDD, then restart the Mac while holding down the OPTION / ALT key and select the external HDD as boot HDD.
    Open Disk Utility and re-format with the right format and clone the external HDD back to the internal HDD and restart from the internal HDD and use the external HDD like you did before.

Btw, I don't really know why your HDD is formatted that way, as every Mac and HFS+ formatted HDD I used did not use Case-Sensitivity.