Instaling 64bit windows on latest MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by menuval, Nov 4, 2010.

1. menuval macrumors newbie

hey there,

I've purchased my second mac last week - the model code is Z0J7, the MBP 13' with 4 gigs of ram and 250GB.

I'd Like to install the best 64 bit windows OS in order to use all of my 4 gigs od ram, does anyone have any suggestions regarding the compitability of each vesrion and the drivers issues ? I'd rather use XP or 7 64bit.

Thanks for any tips.

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I have win 7 x64 bit. No troubles as far as I can tell wrt driver issues and such. I have more issues with 64-bit office :mad:

3. menuval thread starter macrumors newbie

What build of win7 do you use ?

4. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

There are no driver issues as long as you use Bootcamp.
    You can also use any version of Win7.

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Windows XP 64-bit is unsupported, so the only 64-bit choices you have are Windows Vista and 7, server OSes excluded. Any flavor will work for basic Boot Camp use. If you need Windows XP for legacy applications, the Business and Ultimate editions also include a licensed copy of Windows XP for use in a virtual machine.

6. kobazik macrumors newbie

Win7 x64 for gaming only

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on my 13 MBP and all works fine. Just make sure you got latest nvidia drivers and a proper external mouse coz the built-in touchpad is a pain under Windows.

7. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I use Windows 7 Business x64 in bootcamp. The only issue I have is that some of my old games won't install in x64 :(. C&C Generals doesn't want to work.

8. gurm42 macrumors newbie

Use Windows 7 64-bit. There will be a few game issues, most can be worked around. There are a few sites on the 'net that will show you how to make older games go, and even some sites such as "Good Old Games" that do remakes for a few bucks' fee.

As for the user who posted about 64-bit Office... Microsoft doesn't support it, either! The 64-bit Office isn't recommended, even under 64-bit Windows they recommend 32-bit Office until people get the plugins and other stuff sorted out.

(I'm a Windows admin by day, Mac user by night, and I roll out only 32-bit Office. I even run 32-bit Office on my 64-bit 8-core Xeon station...)

(Unless you NEED 64-bit Excel, some users do...)

- Gurm

9. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on my MBP. Works great!

I understand wanting to run XP but Windows 7 isn't bad and much better than Vista.

Remember, if you are a student check with your bookstore to see if you can get a discount on Windows and Office. I'm a prof and we get 7 Ult 64bit for $20, Office 2010 for $25 and (Mac) Office 2011 for $20.

-P

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Actually, I would have had my entire portfolio of office applications (Office, Project and Visio) running in 64-bit (I do computations on large data sets in excel).

The ONLY thing that hung me up was non other than Apple's own MobileMe plugin which was incompatible with 64-Bit Outlook. Because Outlook 2011 doesn't support MobileMe calandars, and I hate iCal with a passion, all my work has to be done in Outlook 2010.

I'll give Apple a little while to update MobileMe for 64 bit, and I'll give Microsoft a little time to to fix MobileMe calandars Outlook 2011. If they can't come to an agreement, i'll just have to leave MobileMe (which I don't really want to do).