Instaling Leopard problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacAodh, Dec 3, 2007.

1. MacAodh macrumors regular

Hi all,
    I'm having problems installing leopard on my girlfriends macbook. She was having problems with 4,11 in that it was freezing so she decided to upgrade to leopard. I backed up her computer and restarted with the disk, i choose to erase and reinstall but when it had almost completed the installation it showed a message reporting that the software could not be installed on this disk. It restarted in os 10,5 but it froze almost immediately after the set-up (which did not go smoothly either). I've restarted on the disk to try again but at about 50% it gave me the same message as before (could not install in this location...)

I've now tried to format the disk with disk utility but that wont work (giving error: could not unmount the disk) and so i tried to verify the disk which said it was ok. I then repaired disk permissions and it gave me the error: The underlying task reported failure on exit. Does anyone know what to do??? i'm in serious trouble if this doesn't work...

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Sounds like a bad drive. You verified the disk, have you tried repairing the HD from the DVD?

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Archive and Install. Started up from the Leopard Install disk, go through the installation process until you get to the screen where you choose the drive to install on. Choose your drive, then click the Options button at the bottom of the screen. Choose the second option, Archive and Install, and make sure to leave "Preserve Users and Network Settings", then continue as normal. The previous buggy installation will be deactivated and moved to a folder called "Previous Systems" and a new one will be installed in it's place, but all of your data will be intact and your username and password should continue to work the same way, assuming the first install didn't mess those up.

jW

4. MacAodh thread starter macrumors regular

I really hope your not right synth3tik. I'm a poor student and can't afford a new one. I'll try the archive and install option Mal and see where i get to. It's either that or a month on the sofa i think... :eek:

5. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

If the archive and install does not work, then try to repair disk in disk utilities, also if the computers under warranty Apple should just replace the drive for you free of charge.

6. MacAodh thread starter macrumors regular

This is getting better, I went to try the archive and install and in the select destination window... there's no drive!!! The hard disk has been stolen!!!

Slowly floating down chocolate creak and my popsticicle stick is drifting away fast

7. MacAodh thread starter macrumors regular

No, it's about a month out of warranty. Good news is that the hard disk has come back to life though... now lets see if this works

8. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I think that might be because of the failure when trying to format the drive. I would try to format it again. I had a similar issue with my old G4 when installing Tiger were my drive was not in the "sources". You said you had backed up all the files so you should not have to worry about formatting the drive and you can always use migration assistant when complete to get all the back up files back to their correct places.

9. MacAodh thread starter macrumors regular

Right so, I'm pretty sure this isn't working. It's been hanging on the same place on the progress bar for the last 15 minutes and the time is going up and up (it's about 1/3 of the way through and now on 51 minutes, was on about 10 when it got there)

Should i restart it or will that just ruin it???

10. MacAodh thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, moving again but very slowly... hour and seven minutes till i find out my fate.

11. MacAodh thread starter macrumors regular

right so, it's working finally but now airport has disappeared from sight...