instaling osx 10.4.7 problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Brod Boat, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Brod Boat macrumors newbie

OK, so this is my problem:

I just got my old mac ppc g3 back from my sister (it is old but it works) and I tried to install osx 10.4.7 with the discs that my other mac came with. When I restart my computer like it tells me to it "kernal panics".
    So restarted and held the "C" key. Nothing happened. Then I restarted (again) and held down the "D" key. Nothing happened. So then I ejected the disc by holding the scroll button down. I am currently running osx 10.2.8.

One of my other questions is "how much ram can I fit in this computer"?

I really want osx 10.4.7 because I have a ipod that only works on the new Itunes, I want Imovie HD, and there are several application that I would also like to download including boot camp (will boot camp work?)

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

1. You can't use gray restore disks on computers other than the one with which they came.
    2. That's illegal, anyway.
    3. Anywhere from 386MB to 1GB maximum. It depends on the model.
    4. It was probably an Intel OS disk, so there is no possible way it could work.
    5. Boot Camp is ONLY for Intel computers.

3. Brod Boat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks but is there any possible way that I could get osx 10.4.7 this computer for FREE and is there another option that will allow me to run windows XP on this computer.

4. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

1. Nope, not for free. Unless someone gives you an un-opened copy of Tiger.
    2. There are some Windows emulators for PPC Macs, but they suck even on a top of the line PowerMac G5, so there is no possible way you could run XP on that thing at any usable speed.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

1. Be given an unopened copy of Tiger. You want 10.4.11, anyway.
    2. VirtualPC, which, I can tell you from experience, sucks performance-wise on a 400MHz iMac DV.

6. Brod Boat thread starter macrumors newbie

How much are we talkin here.....$100......$200

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Somewhere between those two, leaning toward $200.

8. Brod Boat thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that sucks. What is the best way to make this computer a hell of a lot faster. I already plan on getting 1g of ram but is there anything else I can do. My budget is like $350 mabye a bit more. ..if it is neccessary