Instaling OSX SL on macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Beso, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beso macrumors newbie

Hi there,

First of all let me THANK YOU for taking the time to read my noobish thread.

So heres whats going on, I am curantly on a (macbook pro) as im typing to you but i also have a (macbook) and i have removed its drive and formatted it using the first option on Disk Utility's (Journaled) on my Mac Pro, and heres the few ways i tried installing OSX SL(Snow Leopard) :

1, I tried using the (GRAY) cd but then i found out here that does not work, it wont go through with the installation
    2, Downloaded A DMG(OSX SL) file and restored on to the HD using my Mac Pro, it comes up with the Folder with (?) inside.
    3. Partitioned the HD, restored the DMG file to 1 part of the HD and put it back in Macbook and it comes up again with the Folder with (?) inside.
    4. I also tried Installing OSX while the HD was out of the macbook and into a portable case it installed successfully but once its put back into macbook it did not start up with the OSX it just goes back to the folder with (?)

I cant seem to know what i'm doing wrong i mean reading some stuff in this forum and some research in google/youtube its still abit different to what i'm use to, any help would be really appreciated.

2. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

What disk are you using? The one that comes with your MacBook Pro (which I assume the gray one is) won't work on your MacBook.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I successfully installed Snow Leopard on a new hard drive in my MacBook. Here's what you do:

1. Install the new drive in your MacBook (sounds like you already have this covered).

2. Go to the Apple Store.

3. Buy Snow Leopard.

4. Take it home and install from that disc.

The gray disc won't work, those are hardware-specific and can only restore onto the hardware mated to it. And if you download a DMG you never know what could happen.

4. Beso thread starter macrumors newbie

Like i said on my first try Gray CD was my first option,

Also i forgot to mention that i also tried Installing OSX while the HD was out of the macbook and into a portable case it installed successfully but once its put back into macbook it did not start up with the OSX it just goes back to the folder with (?)

5. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Stick the drive in the MacBook and get yourself a retail SL disk to install from.

6. Beso thread starter macrumors newbie

The DMG file is the retail version the so call ( Black CD )

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

the SL retail disk is white with a picture of a snow leopard on it. You can't just drop a DMG on it and expect it to install itself like that. You need to go buy a retail disk and do it that way.

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Are there words missing here after "the so call", as that sentence makes not much sense, except the part about the DMG, as that was downloaded I suppose. It is nice that Apple offers this service while MS does not. ;)

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

And it's only $29.

10. Beso thread starter macrumors newbie

the thing is that the DMG file is the real 1 since i upgraded my macbook pro with it, i almost got it running lastnight it whent to the part where you select what drive to install on and the funny thing is i dont know what i done rong becouse there was no drive to select

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

Apple doesn't provide the OSx disks as downloads; you have an illegal copy. Asking for help with piracy is against the forum rules.

12. Beso thread starter macrumors newbie

lol no after ( version ) forgot a coma

13. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The thread has been closed due to discussion of piracy software, which is against forum rules.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.