Install 10.5 On a Intel Mac but running it on PPC

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mbenven, Feb 17, 2008.

1. mbenven macrumors newbie

HEy guys, for some reason, my friend iMac, a G5, won't read OS X 10.5. So I had her send me her HD, plug it in as an esternal and planning to install OSX from my mac, a Mac Book Core 2 Duo, and send it back to her.

Would that work? or when i plug the HD back in the PPC it will miss something?

What i mean, does the installation instal some files that are just for Intel or Just for PPC or OS X installation is universal like any other app?

Tnx again

2. mbenven thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Random Chaos macrumors member

While technically the install is the same, the boot sector format for a bootable HDD for a PPC is different than one for an Intel Mac. Therefore, I'm not sure if it will work or not.

If you can do it on a G4, that would be more likely to not have problems.

4. Amdahl macrumors 65816

A Quad G5 can boot that way. It might not work with older systems. Best to install using a PPC system.

5. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Sounds to me like it will not work. I would suggest to do a firewire disk mode between the computers to install it.

Also all G5s should be able to run 10.5. It might be a good idea to find out why she can not run it.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The boot partitions is GUID under the intel mac for 10.5 -- which won't work as one on the PPC.

I think that was one of the snags for people updating from 10.4 to 10.5 who had to reformat their Intel Macs under the new OS.

---

There were some DVDs that didn't work on some machines requiring some tricks to use the same DVD, but if the DVD has been checked once -- don't waste the time on that process again.

7. mbenven thread starter macrumors newbie