Install 10.6 on Macbook Air Remote Disc Error

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kimtan95, Aug 25, 2010.

1. kimtan95 macrumors newbie

Hello there,

Would appreciate any help here.

I have the following:
    Mac Book Air with 10.5.8
    iMac with 10.6.4
    Purchased 10.6 Mac Box Set

When I try to access and install 10.6 on my MacBook Air, I get the following error:

"The operation cannot be completed because the original item for "Mac OS X Install DVD" cannot be found"

I am trying to use remote disc on my iMac to access the 10.6 install disc. I used the the "Ask to use" option on my MacBook Air, and then selected "Ok" on my iMac to give permission. Despite this I get the above error.

Seeking your assistance.

Kim

2. The Beatles macrumors regular

Its naming the DVD title in the error, so it is recognizing it. Sounds like your using the 10.6 OSX DVD that came with the iMac and your using it to try and update the OS of the laptop.

I think that DVD might be specific to the iMac model. The error is informing you that it doesnt have the proper install package for the laptop. Thats my guess.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You cannot use Remote Disk in that way to do a system install. What you can do is use a little program called "Remote Install Mac OS X" that will be in your Utilities folder. Open it on both machines and follow the instructions. Should allow you to achieve what you're trying to do.

jW

4. kimtan95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your replies.

OK, I'll give the remote install utility a go.

5. kimtan95 thread starter macrumors newbie

The utility looks like the right way to go. For some strange reason, my airport network is not detected on my macbook air when the utility is run. This stops me from allowing me to properly proceed in installing 10.6

:apple: