Install 10.7 on Firewire and later clone to SSD

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by derlockere, Jul 26, 2011.

1. derlockere, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

derlockere macrumors member

Hi Folks!

Just wanted to know if my plan is a good one or if there are any stumbling blocks I haven't seen.

I want to install Lion on my extern FW drive and if everything runs smoothly I am going to clone it to my internal SSD.

I am go gin this way as my Laptop is my productive Tool and I cannot cope with any misfunctionality due to early adopter bugs. Hence, running Lion on the external disc gives me the possibility in case of any problems to switch back to SL.

Regarding FileVault: I guess it's better to turn it on after having it on the SSD, right!

Did I oversee any performance issues or something which are worth to install Lion directly on the SSD instead of doing a cloning from the external FW drive?

Thanks for your advices!

Cheers, S.

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Depending on which model of SSD you have, I'd possibly recommend you perform a fresh install on your SSD when the time comes.

3. derlockere thread starter macrumors member

I have a Vertex 3 MI as SSD.....

Thx, for your thoughts!

Cheers, S.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This will work, but there only flaw I see in your plan is by doing it this way you will not have the Lion restore partition on your internal drive after the clone.

You need to do a Lion install on the internal drive first so the restore partition gets installed, then you can clone from the external to the internal.

If you don't care about having the restore partition, you can just do the clone as you described.

5. derlockere thread starter macrumors member

I do not care too much about the restore partition as I have a HDD with the image on there.

I am not really sure why people insist on installing it clean on the SSD, is there any proof that this is better than the pure gut feeling??
    @DustinT: Do you have a certain source four your recommendation? I would be happy to shed some light on this issue!

Thx, S.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I agree with you, unless there is some specific reason for a fresh install the upgrades seem to work just fine.