Install a Retina Display on Pre-Retina MacBook Pro 13?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Capulet, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Capulet macrumors newbie

Just wondering if anyone has tried putting a MacBook Retina screen on a regular 13 inch MacBook Pro that has a 1280x800 resolution?

I looked at a few pictures from iFixit and the connectors look like they can possibly be the same, but I cannot find an answer.

2. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

The panel itself is probably going to run you $800 and I dont know where you'd even be able to buy one. Id be very weary of it working.

3. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

well they are not going to fit, the panel in the rmbp is smaller, regarding the controller i dont know

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The whole display assembly is fused together for the retina, and the dimensions of that display assembly are different than the normal 13" MBP, so no.

5. hutch34 macrumors member

I doubt it would work, and honestly, it would probably end up being as expensive, or more expensive than selling your current MBP and buying a Retina.

6. Anitramane macrumors 6502

7. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Sure you can can, if you don't mind that you can't really attach the screen assembly to the unibody, as it's too small and the hinges are different. But if the connector fits, and the cMBP outputs a signal that works with the rMBP panel (which it might not), then you could just leave the screen hanging from the wires and use an iPad stand to keep it upright. The AirPort antennas might not fit, but you can get a USB WiFi adapter.

Or, if you just get the rMBP panel you could try installing it to the cMBP clamshell. Some modding would be required to attach the panel (mounting is completely different), and you would have to find something to cover the exposed area around the panel (the clamshell is larger than the panel), but aside from the possibly different signal, it might work.

8. Anitramane macrumors 6502

Differences in signals is solved by 150$ boards that makes the retina display plug in to anything with Displayport.

9. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

A converter board: $150. A Retina panel: $200. A Frankenstein's monster of a laptop: priceless.

It could be done, sure, but making it usable as a laptop is a different story.

10. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

This is so expensive and pointless you would be better off just getting a rMBP.

11. Anitramane macrumors 6502

You can also use an ipad 3 display, those are 50$ on ebay ;-)
    Teksyndicate did a great video were they made almost like a new Macintosh but with Pc parts.
    http://youtu.be/eRbnnvF_ipk

12. Anitramane macrumors 6502

I remember someone put a macbook air display on the macbook pro and it actually worked

13. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Recently while browsing through Hackaday, I came across a project, where someone installed an iPad Retina display into a Wacom Intuos: World First? Retique, PTZ630+IPAD retina panel. It's a great idea, and the execution is top notch!

14. Anitramane macrumors 6502

So making a top notch frankenbook macbook with a retina display could be really cool and functional!

15. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Absolutely :)