Resolved Install a Windows 7 partition on Mac OSX without Optical Drive or USB

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Palgan, Jan 11, 2015.

1. strayduck macrumors newbie

It is convoluted and time consuming.

It is also one of only a couple of options for those with Macs whos original optical drives no longer work or are no longer installed.

Windows installers will not run from external USB drives, the installer must be running from an internal device.

2. fromashes macrumors newbie

ANY UPDATES!?

Tried the real copy over with VmFuse on to the SSD without the virtual file. got stuck on a step where in Terminal I need to write :

2 411648 234029056 GPT EE Basic Data
    Renatass-MacBook-Pro:~ renatasslekonis$ /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-rawdiskCreator create /dev/disk0 2 windows7 ide
    Unable to copy the source files to the destination files...

I was reffering to this ?http://www.andrewsavory.com/blog/2011/2156

3. strayduck macrumors newbie

4. jvmaltez macrumors newbie

jvmaltez

strayduck, I must SAY that you are DA MAN.....it really worked your method....after I lost a couple of days in the Googleing.......Any WAY. My MAC:

MBP 7,1 ( MacBook Pro MID 2010)
    Optical Drive Replaced by a SSD ( so no Optical drive at all)
    Yosemite 10.10.5 installed
    Now Running WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE N EDITION

5. Pr1n1v, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015

Pr1n1v macrumors newbie

Tried all the steps above,restarted my Mac holding the option key,but it doesn't show me the Bootcamp partition for some reason.
    Tried it again and this time i used the startupdisk option in system preferences, and after system restart it showed an error saying "No Bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key".

iMac 27' Mid2011
    Trying it on 10.11 ElCaptian
    Trying to run Windows 8.1

UPDATE: I downgraded to Mavericks since i was facing quite a lot issues with ElCapitan. Also i was able to successfuly install Windows8.1 by the above tutorial.

6. Eligos macrumors newbie

Palgan, I want to thank you for the Tutorial, it worked on the first try!

7. Moonwreck macrumors newbie

Moonwreck

HI Palgan,
    I followed your steps and I got an error message when clonning the windows to BOOTCAMP. The error message is attach. Any help will be appreciated.

Screenshot 2015-12-16 07.50.38.png

8. Trucabulles macrumors newbie

Trucabulles

Hi,

I had installed my windows 7 bootcamp partition on my mid 2010 27" iMac doing almost the same things a few years ago without any problem.

Then I decided it was time to update my iMac with a brand new SSD. I also erased everything from the mac 2 TB HD, so bye bye bootcamp...

I followed the same procedure to recreate my bootcamp partition and move my winclone archive to the freshly created partition on the 2 TB HD (OS X is on my SSD). When I rebooted I got the same message than almost everyone else, something like "no boot files on drive...". After playing quite a bit with my files, checking drives and EFIs and whatever, I decided to give this a last try and copied the EFI folder contained in C:\windows\boot to C:\Boot. I also copied BOOTSECT.BAK from the "reserved to system hidden partition created in the vmware VM (visible when you mount the VM with paragon vmdk.

After reboot, the windows drive finally appeared when holding down option key and I finally managed to install windows 7. Bootcamp works great since then.

If you have similar problems, please try this and let me know if it works...

Cyril

9. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

While this was appropriate for Windows 7 and Windows 8 do not do this with Windows 10.
    Windows 10 allows you to skip entering the product key until after the installation is complete and you will need to do just that. Windows 10 will detect the hardware change between the virtual Windows installation and the final Windows installation and if you use your product key at the wrong time it will no longer be valid at the end of the process.
    Microsoft is cracking down on and enforcing their TOS and unless you have a full retail version of Windows 10 they will no longer allow you to reactivate with a simple phone call.

10. LesterM123 macrumors newbie

LesterM123

You can run whit El Capitan?

11. PrincipeAzzurro macrumors newbie

Thank you very much. After almost 6 months of trying, I finally managed to install Bootcamp and Windows on my MacBook Pro 17 inch / late 2011.
    I failed on my the first attempt; it might be worth mentioning why: I noticed that the virtual Windows installed with VM was larger than I had set it up, therefore it was only slightly smaller than the Bootcamp partition. All went smoothly when I removed and re-installed the Bootcamp partition making it a comfortable 2.5 GBs larger than the virtual machine.
    Thanks again!!!

12. LouisOutLoud, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016

LouisOutLoud macrumors newbie

Hello there !

Anyone had the chance to try one of these methods (Palgan', strayduck's or Doyton's) on ElCapitan, to install Windows 10 ?

I'm on a 3Tb Fusion Drive Late 2012 iMac, and so far, it's been impossible to even get through Bootcamp's *Partition* step. My drive is (well, was at least) completely fresh, and I chose a 400 Go partition - maybe that was a mistake, I know FAT32 can support more than that, but maybe Bootcamp had trouble with it - and Bootcamp just stopped progressing (not frozen, but not advancing either). I had to quit, it left me with 800gigs of "free space" on the drive, I had to re-create the LVG and all that, well, I came back to a stable and full 3To OSX drive.

But I — as well as a lot of people around here ;) — don't want to quit yet. I want to make it work.

I am considering strayduck's method, but as it was on Yosemite and with Windows 8. Both my OSX and the Windows I want to install are more recent, and I'm afraid it will be a source of problems (again). Especially after Pr1n1v's comment :
    So... Before I jump into it, has anyone succeeded with installing Win10 on ElCap ? Anyone else had issues with a 3To Fusion Drive iMac ?

Thanks anyway for this thread, it's a great deal of information to start with (or continue with...)

EDIT : Ok, so, I finally understand the main issue : 3Tb Drives are just too big for Windows to install properly. Apple's solution probably worked with previous versions of OSX (Mavericks, Yosemite...) on recent iMacs (2013, 2015 and whatnot) but I guess my system (the oldest mac that will support Windows 10 !) is really some kind of an exception. I'm going to follow this guide :
    https://www.27partners.com/2012/12/how-to-install-boot-camp-on-a-3tb-fusion-drive-mac/ and see what happens. Cheers

13. golosin2 macrumors member

Just to confirm that the method worked!! Windows 10 Pro x64 up&running.

For more details, I have a Late 2009 iMac 27" Core i7 2.8Ghz, with stock 1TB HDD and later I added a SSD where the SuperDrive was.

I just changed one thing: I used an USB HDD, where I have a Yosemite installation for emergencies. I booted the system from there, then installed VMWare, Paragon and Winclone. Everything went smooth, so I finally have Windows 10 on it.

Thanks everyone!

14. javier.garcia, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017

javier.garcia macrumors newbie

javier.garcia

Palgan es usted el famoso hacker uruguayo?

15. gga macrumors newbie

Hey

I just wanted to say thank you! It worked for me too!

Comments:

• After force-quitting VMware Fusion, I got that error from VDMounter when mounting the Virtual Machine. It worked for me only by normally quitting the VMware Fusion when Windows wanted to restart (that involved suspending).

Specifications:

• Macbook Pro 15” (late 2011)
    • Running Sierra 10.12.5
    • SSD Samsung 1tb
    • Window 8.1 Pro

16. Niwla macrumors newbie

Niwla

I just registered to this forum to say: THANK YOU!!! I've been struggling so hard to get windows running on my mid 2011 iMac without the optical drive (placed an SSD instead). I've tried just about every (video)tutorial I could find and nothing worked. My knowledge of iMac and OS X is limited since this is my first Mac but I'm completely OVER THE MOON right now. I did everything step by step and spend the $30,- for the winclone software and everything worked the first time installing Windows 7 on MacOS Sierra. After that I removed the virtual machine and erased the partition and tried again with Windows 8 en Windows 10. Both worked flawlessly!! I'm very happy with running Windows 10 for now. All the Apple-software I already archived on a thumb drive worked in Windows 10.

I've read people talking about this method being very time consuming. Maybe it's because of the SSD I'm using but installing Windows in VMware and cloning the image doesn't take more than 5 minutes.

Once again, thank you soooo much for this tutorial.