"Install and keep package" does quite the opposite

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Chris14, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Chris14 macrumors regular

Chris14

Hi there,

I've been having some trouble regarding software update.
    Due to a rather feeble data allowance from my ISP, I must be somewhat sparing when it comes to downloading files. When I use software update, I have been trying to make use of the "Install and keep package" option, but have hit a snag... the updates install without a hitch, but the package is nowhere to be seen.

Anyone else had similar issues and perhaps found a resolution?

2. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

When I read your post I thought you had to be either in Australia or in New Zealand, and so you were ;) It suprised me internet access is still relatively expensive and immature in a lot of areas. Quite a difference from here (Netherlands) where we have a high availability of high speed (and low priced) internet access with fair use policy (which generally means limitless). Currently you see that glassfibre internet access is upcoming which often means a synchronus 100Mbit connection.

Quite a difference from the experience in Sydney where I had to buy an allowance of 500MB traffic per week for AU$ 10,- on a quite slow internet connection. What can you nowadays do with 500MB?! One Apple software update and a bit of skype and you're done... I consume that kind of traffic over here in minutes/hours...

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The packages ARE actually kept, you just haven't found the folder Mac OS X stores them in. Go to the root of Macintosh HD (or whatever the name of your boot drive is), then Library. In there is a folder called Packages. In there are all the packages you asked it to save.

4. Chris14 thread starter macrumors regular

Chris14

On my mac there is unfortunately no folder called "Packages" in Macintosh HD/Library :confused:

Anybody else have any suggestions?

I suppose I may have clicked the wrong thing although I implicitly remember selecting "Install and keep package"...

5. simplebeep macrumors member

simplebeep

Workaround

I have never gotten "install and keep package" to work. Never. Nor have I found anybody who's located these missing packages. But I have done something similar that works well: tell it to just download the packages. They will go straight to your downloads folder, where you can simply double-click them to commence installation.

I manage a lab with Apple Remote Desktop, and I've found this to be the best way to distribute updates. While the local network is rather snappy, there is only a narrow connection to the internet, and distributing updates with ARD is perfect. But I digress…

Yes: Download packages only. Go to downloads folder. Double-click. Smile. :D

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

It's actually called "Updates" currently.

jW

7. BooBoo1955 macrumors newbie

BooBoo1955

What Choice?

I live in Australia and run OS X 10.6.2. My Software update does not give me the choice to either "Update" or "Install and Keep Package" or "Download".

It just gives "Install" or "Go to Apple Downloads Page", neither of which is what I want.

I want to simply download the Packages, then install them myself later, as I too, in the past, with previous OS iterations, couldn't find the Packages with "Install and Keep Package".

I don't want each separate machine to download the huge files associated with Software updates!

So what do we do?

Attached Files:

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Can't do anything about it through Software Update in ANY iteration of 10.6, sadly. You've just got to download the updates manually now, from Apple Downloads.

9. JustinVM macrumors newbie

Here's one option that worked for me but I only tried it once...

Download Only Software Update - Version 1.1

About:
    This Automator droplet application replaces the functionality lost in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or a Download Only option in Software Update.

No longer to you need to bog down your workflow by installing them that moment, you can also save them for later or use on another computer.

Just double-click the application, wait a bit for downloading, then look for your updates in /Library/Updates

Mac OS X 10.6 or later.
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/33628/download-only-software-update

-J

10. Francois4256 macrumors newbie

Actually, Mal is quite correct, the folder is is in the root library, just where he said it was...

Francois

Attached Files: