Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael-appleru

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Minnesota
I have some questions about the The Newer Technology miniStack v2

1. Can I install a Application (lets say final cut express) on a The Newer Technology miniStack v2????

2. Will the The Newer Technology miniStack v2 be as fast as the computer that I am using it with or will it be as faster???

3. Does it slow the editing process down because it is an external hard drive(i think it is)???

4. Would It be better for me to buy The Newer Technology miniStack v2 than to buy a new computer???

i would be getting the firewire and usb 80 or 160 GB model

For more information on the The Newer Technology miniStack v2 go to

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ministack/
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/MS2F7080GB2/

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
michael-appleru said:
1. Can I install a Application (lets say final cut express) on a The Newer Technology miniStack v2????

In most cases, it's fine to install apps outside of the Applications folder on your internal drive but I'd argue that you may as well keep them there and then use the external drive for other files. It's just safer because some apps still require you to place them in Applications.

michael-appleru said:
2. Will the The Newer Technology miniStack v2 be as fast as the computer that I am using it with or will it be as faster???

It's a hard drive. Chances are that the hard drive inside the enclosure will be rated at the same RPM as your eMac's drive. I'm not quite sure what you mean by this question, sorry. :eek:

michael-appleru said:
3. Does it slow the editing process down because it is an external hard drive(i think it is)???

It shouldn't slow the editing process down. In fact, the extra space and the ability to use it as a scratch disk could even make things run smoother. Maybe this answers your second question.

michael-appleru said:
4. Would It be better for me to buy The Newer Technology miniStack v2 than to buy a new computer???

It would be much cheaper to buy the miniStack but if you're finding that your current computer isn't fast enough, then maybe just buy a new machine. The miniStack cannot replace a computer though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.