Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phination

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
So I just ordered 8GB of Corsair ram as well as a 250GB Samsung 840 Evo SSD for my macbook pro early-2011. I was wondering how I would go about doing everything when the things get here. I understand that I probably shouldnt change both at the same time, so I will add the memory first, test it, then add the ssd. I am not going to be adding the ssd as a secondary drive, I want to replace the hard drive that is currently in my MBP. I do not need to copy files over between drives because I can just mount the current harddrive to my desktop and recover files that I need. So the two questions I have are: Will the ssd fit perfectly into the slot that the harddrive is currently in, or I am going to need to do some interesting things to get everything to fit properly?, and can I literally just place the ssd into the computer as a blank ssd and boot it up, or do I need to preload macos on it or something? From my knowledge, I always thought that you could have the laptop automatically setup on a blank disk for you, but I wasn't entirely sure. Thanks

Edit: Will I need any additional tools other than a screwdriver to open the macbook?

jmdMac

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
Alaska
The easiest way would be to create a bootable version of OS X on a usb drive as described in the following link:
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/ap...how-to-create-a-bootable-usb-to-install-os-x/

Then just replace your HDD with the new SSD (it should fit perfectly, and will come with some adjustable bumpers) and boot up your mac from the USB. I believe you need to hold option or C while it is starting up to do this. From there run disk utility and partition your HDD to the correct format (can't remember which) and install OS X. Sorry for the vague description I did this a long time ago.

Google is your friend, much better/complete descriptions of this process.

----------

FYI

http://mac.tutsplus.com/tutorials/hardware/how-to-upgrade-your-macbook-pro-to-an-ssd/

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
That SSD will be an exact swap and fits fine.

Do you have an external USB enclosure you can put the old drive in?

If you do, make the swap and put the old drive in the enclosure then option key boot to it. Then start Disk Utility and format the new drive to Mac OS Extended. Quit Disk Utility then use the free trial version of Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the old drive to the new. Shutdown and unplug the old drive and restart. Then go to System Preferences and in the Startup Disk pane select the SSD as the boot drive. Done.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
So I just ordered 8GB of Corsair ram as well as a 250GB Samsung 840 Evo SSD for my macbook pro early-2011. I was wondering how I would go about doing everything when the things get here. I understand that I probably shouldnt change both at the same time, so I will add the memory first, test it, then add the ssd. I am not going to be adding the ssd as a secondary drive, I want to replace the hard drive that is currently in my MBP. I do not need to copy files over between drives because I can just mount the current harddrive to my desktop and recover files that I need. So the two questions I have are: Will the ssd fit perfectly into the slot that the harddrive is currently in, or I am going to need to do some interesting things to get everything to fit properly?, and can I literally just place the ssd into the computer as a blank ssd and boot it up, or do I need to preload macos on it or something? From my knowledge, I always thought that you could have the laptop automatically setup on a blank disk for you, but I wasn't entirely sure. Thanks

Edit: Will I need any additional tools other than a screwdriver to open the macbook?
You will need a high-quality #00 Philips head screwdriver for the screws on the bottom plate and the HD retaining bracket. The screws should go back in the same holes, so lay them out in order, and as they are small, be careful.
You will also need a #6 Torx driver to remove the retaining lugs on the sides of the HD and place them on the sides of the new SSD. Be careful when you handle the SATA cable, firm but gentle is best there.
Some SSDs come in a kit with an SATA to USB connector, which you can use to connect the SSD before you install it, and format it using Disk Utility, then Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the installed HD to the SSD. After that it is a straight open the laptop and replace the HD with the SSD. Close up the MBP and your off flying. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.