Install BootCamp 3.0 drivers without SuperDrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by maxreese, Sep 16, 2009.

1. maxreese macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am trying to install the Boot Camp 3.0 drivers from SL on Vista loaded on my MacBook Air. Unfortunately, I don't have a SuperDrive. I attempted to create an iso image of SL using Disk Utility, but get an error saying that the "disk" is corrupt. Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Isn't the Boot Camp autorun file just an .exe? I think you could take the .exe file off of the disc and just copy it to a USB flash drive.

3. maxreese thread starter macrumors newbie

How can I find the autorun from Mac? All I get when I open the SL disk is
    - Install Mac OS X
    - Instructions folder
    - Optional Installs folder

4. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

If you're doing this from the Mac side, the files for Windows are probably hidden. You're going to need to temporarily enable hidden files. There's a few ways to do this: with a program, like Onyx. Or in the Terminal, type this:'

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
    killall Finder
    Afterwards, you should then turn hidden files off again. To do this, simply reverse the command: replace TRUE with FALSE.

5. maxreese thread starter macrumors newbie

No dice. I was unable to locate the windows specific files in the cd when I tried this. Any other options?

Thanks....

6. Knipperdolling macrumors newbie

You have to read the DVD from a computer running Windows (native or in a virtual machine does not matter). The DVD is quite tricky, shows it´s content only to the respective file system of the OS used.
    From Windows, just copy the files to an USB stick or external hard drive, your mac can read them from there, it´s not about the files but about the DVD´s TOC.

7. maxreese thread starter macrumors newbie

8. jalalalbasri macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm about to attempt the same thing but have not gotten to the drivers stage yet.

Can you please tell me how you installed XP using bootcamp without an external drive in the first place.

Thanks,
    J.

9. maxreese thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually borrowed the superdrive to install windows, but returned it before installing the 3.0 drivers. There are a couple of mac computer repair places that will install it for you, you might want to look there.