Install Classic onto partition

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by pacmania1982, Aug 2, 2013.

1. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

Hi all

I just got my hands on an iBook G3 900MHz. There is currently just one partition on the hard drive. I want to partition the hard drive to have a 10GB partition for Mac OS 9(.2.2) and one partition for Mac OS X 10.4(.11)

The iBook has Classic and OS X installed but on the same partition. I only have a copy of 9.0.4 on CD (retail) that the iBook won't boot from because it needs to be 9.2.2.

I want the machine to be bootable in both OS 9 and OS X. Does anyone have any ideas how I can do this? I currently don't have my firewire hard drive which I was going to copy the Mac OS 9.2.2 system folder to, then wipe the drive and partition it, boot Classic from the firewire drive then run the Mac OS 9 installer, then the 9.1, 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 updaters but I'm worried it won't boot this way.

Does anyone have any suggestions to do what I want to do?

Thanks

pac

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

This is something I've never understood - partitioning a hard drive for OS9/OSX.

Since Jaguar I have had multiple Macs with both OS9 and OSX on the same partition and been able to boot into OS9 with no issues. The only thing to make sure of is to have OS9 drivers installed when originally partitioning the drive.

I get that some people want to maintain separation of the two OSes, but it's been my experience that this is not a requirement.

3. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

There is generally no compelling reason to put 9 and X on separate partitions.

But if you really want to do it - just get a non-destructive re-partitioning utility, then copy the existing-on-shared-partition "System Folder", "Applications (Mac OS 9)", and "Documents" folders to the new partition.

Use the System Disk control panel (or preference pane) to select the new partition to boot from.

Voilà.

Once you have verified the new partition works, you can remove those folders from your OS X partition.

4. WMD macrumors regular

All you should have to do is open System Preferences and go to Startup Disk, and choose which OS you want at next boot. Then, from OS 9, go to Apple Menu > Control Panels > Startup Disk and choose OS X. They can both boot from the same partition; you don't need to repartition the drive. (Unlike PC operating systems :))

5. pacmania1982 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

Thanks for the replies. I like to have my OS's separate. Don't ask me why!!

I know how to boot into each OS. I've been doing it lots this evening as airport in OS 9 doesn't support the encryption of my WiFi.

I'm guessing that installing a fresh copy of OS 9 then applying the patches isn't going to make it bootable on machine as it would need a specific version of Mac OS with the drivers for my machine.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Correct; you need to use the CDs that originally came with the machine. I think it's a set of three for that computer, with OS 9 on the first one.

7. WMD macrumors regular

If you really want this, you'll either have to do what Anonymous Freak said above, or find a set of restore discs for the iBook 900. Since it came out in early '03 (I think), Apple never sold a separate copy of OS 9 that supported it.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It PowerPC Tiger able to do a live split of it's startup disc like Intell Tiger can? You could always do that to partition your drive.

9. MrPilot macrumors 6502

makes no sense to reserve so many Gb's... better leaving the partition as is and just have both systems in the same partition. (what everyone else is saying basically)