Install Crucial M4 SSD in MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rpearlberg, Mar 3, 2013.

1. rpearlberg macrumors 6502a

I just got this SSD with the install kit. What do I do now? There aren't really any instructions with it...

Do I install the new SSD first and then transfer from the old hard drive?

2. PinoyAko macrumors 6502

Get yourself a USB enclosure and then SuperDuper it.

3. rpearlberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have the data transfer cable that it came with...I just know the process or what do to first...
    Will it transfer everything (iPhoto pictures, iTunes, etc?)?

4. csjo00 macrumors regular

Don't do this.

Are you on Mountain Lion? If so, put your SSD into your MBP and then boot into Internet Recovery. Download and install OS from there. After it installs, it will go through the setup process (like the first time you got your MBP). It will come across an option to transfer data using Migration Assistant. Make sure your old HDD is plugged (either by data transfer cable or external enclosure) and select "From another Mac or PC". Then select all your options that you want (Accounts, Application, etc.). Wait for it finish. Enjoy your new SSD.

5. rpearlberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I don't need to do anything before I install the new SSD? After I install it, how do I boot into Internet recovery so I can transfer from my old HDD?

6. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

You first boot with your original drive and go into recovery mode.
    Then install the OS onto the SSD via USB enclosure.

After that just start putting your data (photos, mail, itunes, etc) by hand through library folder.
    Not that hard as soon as you install the OS (installation would take less than a hour)

7. rpearlberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm cloning the drive using carbon copy clone and then I can just put the new ssd in, right?

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Err... not the best way to do it but yea that could work.
    just be prepared for any trouble that can come strike you.
    I recommend fresh install.

9. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Cloning a drive is not the best way? "Could" work? Have you ever done this before?

Who the heck wants to jump through the hoops of redownloading their OS then migrating all their crap back to the drive?

OP: Yes, you are fine. Clone your internal drive to the SSD, put the SSD in your mac and you're good to go. Everything will be as it was. Now use your old drive as a backup for Time Machine.

10. Ifti macrumors 68000

Check out my youtube channel - link in sig - for guides on how to install a SSD into a MacBook, and how to use SuperDuper to clone across.
    I cloned my old drive to my SSD and have had no issues whatsoever. After several speed tests and testing i can confirm my SSD is running well!

11. csjo00 macrumors regular

Cloning is one way to do it.. It's typically regarded as last option. It literally reads and writes bit by bit, takes forever, and uses excessive/unnecessary writes on the SSD. One problem with this (last time I did it couple years ago, which may be fixed now) is that if partitions/drives are different sizes it causes a world of problems.

The method that I recommend is the best way.

12. BeeJee macrumors 6502

I'll tell you exactly what I did, I also installed a Crucial M4.

First, install the M4 in the computer, you don't have to do anything like format (for the time being).
    Then, hook up your HDD to the transfer cable you received with the kit. Right after you hit the power button hold down option. Select to boot from external disk.
    Go into disk utility and format the M4 to Extended Journaled.
    Now you can copy everything with CCC. Make sure to select startup disk as the new M4 r else OSX won't know what to do at startup.

13. rpearlberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Carbon copy cloner is still running (I'm not in a hurry). Then I'll install the ssd and be done. If I have issues then j can start over.

Thanks!

14. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I hate cloning.
    All the problems on the old drive goes straight to the SSD.
    It even made my OS lag extremely.
    They take forever, they cause problems, and at one point, you just want to redo everything.
    Cloning also puts all the junk you dont need in your SSD as well causing it to take space.
    Fresh installed and manually transferred data then no problem whatsoever.
    Probably the best option to go.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Carbon Copy Cloner doesn't actually clone the drive. It copies things over and that's it.

Well that's unless you select block copy in which it copies everything including the junk over. Never use block copy to copy to a SSD since that will mess up the alignment and cause all sorts of issues.

16. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

And by seeing that OP doesnt know much about transferring data, I still would suggest fresh install.
    For me that was a way to get rid of all the problems.

17. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

DO NOT clone. Seriously, so many people say to clone. It's not ideal.

Start fresh and transfer the files over.

18. Freyqq macrumors 68040

1. time machine to a third drive
    2. replace drive with ssd
    3. restore from backup on third drive

19. Jaimi macrumors regular

Do this.

I tried the other ways that were mentioned, and all had problems. This way worked perfectly, and is the way you are expected to do it.

20. rpearlberg, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013

rpearlberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

For now, I"m done with the clone and the SSD is installed. My only question is the Crucial m4 is thinner than the drive that it's replacing and seems to move a little bit...is that ok?

Nevermind...I forgot to transfer the screws on the side of the hdd.

21. G-Mo, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013

G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

Wow! There is a lot of bad advice in this thread. Yes, Carbon Copy Clone is a great option for transferring your drive...

Sometimes when the drive if thinner, they give you a sticker that adds padding to fill the space, but, in your case, it's fine as long as you moved the torx screws and it is sitting securely in the bracket, you are good.

----------

No.

No.

No.

22. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Nice all these horrible clone advices.
    Good luck mate.

23. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

Nice all this ridiculous fresh install and manually transfer data advice.
    You made the right choice!

24. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

You don't know **** man, sorry. If you understood the problems this could create you wouldn't say this. I assume you just think CCC will work fine, but have never done it. Numerous people have had problems when copy pasting all data from an HDD to SSD. And it just causes nightmares in the future, to avoid these and maximize SSD performance, why not just start fresh. It's not hard.

I totally agree with yusukeaoki, starting from fresh is way better.

25. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

Hmmmmm... Let's see, I do on average 4-5 data transfers A DAY (more with the current Apple Seagate hard drive recall) including any and all followup support. So, by my best estimate, I have done over 3500 data transfers in the last few years including at least 400 HDD to SSD transfers. Oh, I also have over half a dozen hardware and software certifications (finishing top of the testing percentile), including 3 from Apple.

Now, who's the fool?, you immature cretin.