Install disc OS 10.4.1 gets stuck

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jhz, Nov 9, 2009.

1. jhz macrumors newbie

I have a mac OS 10.4.1 that began slowing down incredibly. It stalls and freezes at every step requiring emergency shut downs. I saved copies of my documents on a different computer ( by connecting it as an external hard drive to another computer using a firewire and pressing T).

I have run through a disc utility and found that the memory is unaffected-
    I was told to archive and install my start up disc anew.
    when i put the install disc 1 in the drive it pops up a screen that says " do you want to restart your computer to reinstall the disc"
    Once i press restart it freezes and gives the following message:

panic(cpu 0): Unable to find driver for this platform: "PowerBook6,5".
    a bunch of code type stuff then at end
    "panic: We are hanging here..."

The disc does not eject and neither the restart nor the reinstall happen...
    I figured out that if I force shut it down and restart it holding the mouse button it will eject the disc.

I have done this numerous times and the same thing happens over and over again...

Any advice on how I could perform this reinstall?

thank you immensely :)

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You are using the wrong disk for the computer.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Hold down the shift key on restart, and release as soon as it says safe boot.

Might take awhile to load.

If it runs with no problems, then it may be a driver or login item causing problems.

---

Also holding command-S on restart, and following the directions on the screen to run fsck will repair the drive. This is a multi-pass process until drive is repaired or it fails to make any more repair (exit or reboot) when finished.

---

Unless you added a memory hog recently like Norton anything or an AIO printer, this ...

"I have a mac OS 10.4.1 that began slowing down incredibly. It stalls and freezes at every step requiring emergency shut downs."

Doesn't sound good for the health of the HD, usually an indication of total death around the corner.