Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hucchund22

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2010
Do you have four CDs or a DVD? And by the sounds of it, it sounds like you have a faulty disk drive. Do you have an external one? I think I had that very same problem with a G4, some Macs have temperamental optical drives. :rolleyes:

Or do you have a USB flash drive with 2GB+ of memory?

i have the dvd... i can buy an external dvd drive if u will suggest it, but it would be more cost effective it i just replace the internal drive,. can you tell me what type of dvd drive i should buy? the specifications of it and etc, if you can thanks,, :p

and while i'm at it, i was planning to upgrade the hard disk also, can you also tell me the specifications of it? size, brand, etc.? thanks so much.. :p

a usb drive can be arranged, can i use it instead? and how?

sorry for asking so many questions.. i graduated from a medical course and not from a electrical or whatever you call it course.. ehehhe.. ty..

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Any ATA (IDE) HDD and DVD RW drive will work with 1.25 GHz Lamp.
There's no limit of HDD capacity. Even 500 GB will do. Limit is only your imagination and budget ;) You can even fit there SSD drive using SATA to IDE adapter and Scythe bay rafter or other 2.5" to 3.5" mounting kit.

hucchund22

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2010
Any ATA (IDE) HDD and DVD RW drive will work with 1.25 GHz Lamp.
There's no limit of HDD capacity. Even 500 GB will do. Limit is only your imagination and budget ;) You can even fit there SSD drive using SATA to IDE adapter and Scythe bay rafter or other 2.5" to 3.5" mounting kit.

oh man, i didn't understand what you just wrote,.:eek: i only understood until the word budget... hehehe.. me--->stupid.. :D

by the way, about the dvd rw drive.. is it like a plug and play? once i install it inside the lamp, i wouldn't need any installers for it or anything?

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
oh man, i didn't understand what you just wrote,.:eek: i only understood until the word budget... hehehe.. me--->stupid.. :D

by the way, about the dvd rw drive.. is it like a plug and play? once i install it inside the lamp, i wouldn't need any installers for it or anything?

Is my english that bad? ;) :p It could be :D
Seriously now: any HDD from this category (IIRC your'e in UK) will work with your Lamp.
DVD RW must be IDE too (not SATA) - see specs before buying one. This is only requirement.
Installation is plug & play, you must only set jumpers on HDD and DVD correctly (HDD master, DVD slave or simply like you got on those already installed).
Before OS installation, you must partition new HDD: after booting from Install DVD, choose Disk Utility from menu. Rest is well described here, with all possible options. When you got right formatted drive, next step is to install OS.
Tiger and Leo will work well with any (Apple or non Apple) DVD RW, so additional installers are not required.
To get inside Lamp, you will need these tools, and this step by step guide will help you a lot, especially when you never done it before.
Don't forget about applying new thermal paste before closing your unit, i remember that some one did mention about it in your other "lamp thread".

hucchund22

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2010
your english is great, it's just that some terms you're using are not familiar to me.. hehehe.. i have bought this king of dvd drive and hard disk: 300G SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200 rpm ide and a LG GCC-4120B DVD/CR-RW COMBI DRIVE ide.. i hope those are the right parts,, hehe :D

i have opened the imac today and found a loose wire taped at the tip and i have no idea if it affects anything,, i have made a new thread for it.. :p

i had difficulty trying to get the dvd drive and hard disk out.. :eek:

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
LG GCC-4120B? You didn't wanted DVD RW drive? It's combo i.e. reads (not writes) DVD and burns CD/CDRW.
It could be a little difficult to pull out HDD/CD cage in Lamp for the first time, i agree :).

hucchund22

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2010
LG GCC-4120B? You didn't wanted DVD RW drive? It's combo i.e. reads (not writes) DVD and burns CD/CDRW.
It could be a little difficult to pull out HDD/CD cage in Lamp for the first time, i agree :).

it's alright, i dont really burn cd/dvd's.. either way, i have my laptop that does all the burning.. :D and it was also the cheapest drive that i saw.. hehe..

had difficulty especially pulling the power supply for the dvd drive and hdd.. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.