Install DP4 and Buy the final version in July ?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by Izis, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Izis macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm tired of Lion I tried 10.8 and really like it.

Apple said that DP4 is very close to the final version, so I'm gonna install it on my main partition.

But I wonder what will I have to do when 10.8 will be released. Will I have to remove 10.8 DP4 and install Lion again to buy it ? Or could I install it over the DP4 ?

2. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

If you're a registered Mac OS developer, then you get the final build (aka GM aka public release) for FREE. In other words, come July, just download OS 10.8 GM from your portal and you're up to date.

3. CaptainCannabis macrumors regular

I find it very amusing to read some of the comments by (supposedly) developers in this forum... :rolleyes:

4. Yamcha macrumors 68000

Again with the only developers should use beta software, I've never agreed with that.. I think any person should be able to use beta software provided they understand the risks involved..

And obviously If you like Mountain Lion It should be bought legally through Apple when It's released..

5. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

But if you have to ask questions like this...to things that are talked about in the Dev portal... ;)

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I have no plans to do this, was going to buy developer account but since it's getting released in July, ill hold off till next year, but i'm bored looking through topics and this piqued my interest..what would the process be to upgrade from a DP to the released version? as simple as buying ML from the MAS and installing or would you have to revert to 10.7?

Either way more trouble than it's worth I'd imagine.

7. jnl1211 macrumors 6502

jnl1211

You dont need a dev account to run ML. You just have to know where to get it.

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Regardless, I don't plan on running it until it is released and I can buy it. Just curious about what the process would be to upgrade from, say, DP 4 (not the eventual GM) to the released version. Just buy and install like normal, or downgrade back to Lion then buy/install?

9. jnl1211 macrumors 6502

jnl1211

yes, buy and install like normal

10. Izis thread starter macrumors newbie

This was my question too. Thanks for finally answer it...

11. jnl1211 macrumors 6502

jnl1211

However, if you're running GM when ML is released and you go to it in App store it will already say "Installed"

12. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

Keep rolling your eyes at yourself.

I don't stand corrected.

Go download the GM now for FREE, the same build that will be released to the general public on July 25th. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

13. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

You've just bumped a three week old thread by replying to someone who hasn't logged into this site for a month. Congratulations.

14. gjvon macrumors member

gjvon

You have also contributed to bumping. Problem? :rolleyes:

15. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

I don't think you understand the concept of 'bumping'.

To bump an old thread (which is what I implied 'PBF' had done), would mean the thread had stopped being posted in and had 'died'. Then, he posted in it again, thus bringing this old thread back to the top of the list of threads.

Had I replied to him three weeks later after this thread had already gone to page 52, then yes, I'd be bumping an old thread same as him. However, since 'PBF' had already brought this thread back to the top (and I replied to him while the thread was still listed in page 1), my post would not qualify as a 'bump' since the post was already put back into the list of active threads.

Thanks for trying though.

16. gjvon macrumors member

gjvon

Lol. That was totally not to make you angry.

17. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Did that sound angry to you? I'm sorry if it did- that was my 'lecturing to someone who doesn't know what they're talking about' tone ;)

18. dacreativeguy macrumors 68010

If they really were developers, they would know that posting here violates their EULA with Apple.

----------

That would be great if this was actually BETA software. But Apple clearly labels this software as "Developer Preview", so if you aren't a developer, move along... this isn't the OS you are looking for...

19. jnl1211 macrumors 6502

jnl1211

People always have and always will run Beta's, Developer Previews, whatever they may be labeled.

It shouldn't matter what they run, who they are, or where they got it. People need to quit whining and just answer questions. Good lord

20. gjvon macrumors member

gjvon

sighhhhhh. It was just a playful statement.

21. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

So was mine, hence the smiley at the end :)