Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The19th

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
NorCal
Anyone who used this install method having trouble with the sound working out of their laptop? I changed it to internal speakers, etc. but no luck. Shows as being on too; that's the weird thing.

EDIT: Ignore that...looks like the notification that you're changing the volume no longer works. Sound still works though otherwise.

Installed DP5 over PB1, Sound works fine on my Mid-2011 Air. Volume Adjustment overlay appears on screen.

(Although I'm not a fan of the full opacity of the new overlay and dark "empty" bars.)

GoldenChild

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2014
Installed DP5 over PB1, Sound works fine on my Mid-2011 Air. Volume Adjustment overlay appears on screen.

(Although I'm not a fan of the full opacity of the new overlay and dark "empty" bars.)
I can hear sound when I play my music but I don't hear the volume feedback sound when I turn it up or down. Should I restart?

----------

I will see tomorrow .. if the high temp still, I will do clean installation. Anybody else to mention high temp? (I am with iMac late 2013, 1TB Fusion drive, i7 3.1Ghz)
Keep us updated, thanks! I am using a 2013 mid-Macbook Air.

The19th

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
NorCal
I can hear sound when I play my music but I don't hear the volume feedback sound when I turn it up or down. Should I restart?

Please ensure that the System Preferences -> Sound -> Sound Effects -> "Play feedback when volume is changed" checkbox is enabled. You may need to remove and then re-check the box.

Also, the volume change sound is different. More like a "tik" rather than the "squish" in Mavericks.

----------

Other then that, is the Wifi speed increased? I hope it doesn't disconnect like the PB did.

I haven't noticed any changes in my wifi speeds. Even in PB1, I had a rock solid connection, no disconnects.

GoldenChild

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2014
Please ensure that the System Preferences -> Sound -> Sound Effects -> "Play feedback when volume is changed" checkbox is enabled. You may need to remove and then re-check the box.

Also, the volume change sound is different. More like a "tik" rather than the "squish" in Mavericks.

----------

I haven't noticed any changes in my wifi speeds. Even in PB1, I had a rock solid connection, no disconnects.
Wow, the new sound is amazing. Definitely more futuristic and refreshing. My god, the old sound was terrifying for me when I had to turn up my volume but now its beautiful.

Wifi speeds were hit and miss for me, but then again, I am on a mid-2013 MBA. This new update seems to be good on wifi. The worst release for Wifi for me was DP4.

----------

Let me go ahead and mention that Safari is a lot faster than it was on DP4 & PB. This is lightning fast, no lie. I also like that I can see full address url now.

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
No no no, you shouldn't mix DP with PB.

For everyone that's on Public Beta and are not developers do not update to DP5, DP4 was tested and was found to be a stable enough to make it the Public Beta, DP5 has not been tested for public use, sometimes a newer beta can have more problems than the previous one.

I believe that PB2 will come after DP6 and extensive test between DP5 and DP6 and see which one is better and if overall are better and more stable than the first Public Beta.

besler3035

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI

----------

Perfect. Thanks! Less disconnects on my end; seems to be more stable.

-nickx-

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Santa Fe, New Mexico

For everyone that's on Public Beta and are not developers do not update to DP5, DP4 was tested and was found to be a stable enough to make it the Public Beta, DP5 has not been tested for public use, sometimes a newer beta can have more problems than the previous one.

I believe that PB2 will come after DP6 and extensive test between DP5 and DP6 and see which one is better and if overall are better and more stable than the first Public Beta.

I fully agree, but it's stable. Stable enough for me. Maybe not for others.
So stick with DP if everything works fine, update if you feel free to do so :)

fanta

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2011

Apart from the obvious possibility that every new beta could break something that was working before: seems like we can install DP5 over PB1 without problems. im running it since last night and i everything is fine :)

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK
Those who have installed DP5 over PB1 or willing to do, just DONT!!!

Doing this will not allow you send feedback to apple using feedback utility. Although the utility will open but it will pop a message saying that you are not enrolled in this program.

oMc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2010
Finland & France

Doing this will not allow you send feedback to apple using feedback utility. Although the utility will open but it will pop a message saying that you are not enrolled in this program.

I upgraded from PB1 to DP5 and I can send feedback to Apple...

myname70

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2014

It is not correct! I upgraded over PB1 and still can send feedbacks (see attached). Obviously you have some issues with the account

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-05 at 15.50.35.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-05 at 15.50.35.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 102

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
If you aren't a developer, you shouldn't be using a developer preview. Seems obvious, but maybe not to everyone.

I imagine it may be frowned upon, but I see the link has not been removed here, so it can't be that bad of a thing to do.....

DSeeker

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2014
Pelham, AL
Harmless, good fun

If you aren't a developer, you shouldn't be using a developer preview. Seems obvious, but maybe not to everyone.

I was an Apple developer for years. Does that count? But seriously, what harm can using DP5 possibly cause outside of my personal world? I alone am responsible for any damage or loss of data. I alone have to do all of the recovery work in case of disaster. I don't expect support from Apple or from you. It's going to be a free product, so I'm not stealing from anyone. You're taking the logic of "developer preview" awfully literally. The download link has been up for almost a full day. If Apple was hyper about keeping the DP versions away from prying fingers it seems like they would have issued a take-down notice by now. Or maybe even protected the update in the first place by doing more than merely hiding the URL. I don't see what harm I can possibly be doing and I might even do some good by finding a bug. Other than transgressing on a puritanical Thou Shalt Not, it's harmless, good fun.

lenard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Raleigh NC

Works for me.

Explorz

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
DP5 very unstable for me

I am reverting back to PB1 from a time machine backup.

DP5 was very unstable for me and only included one of the many bug fixes from PB1 that I was looking for.

One of the main problems for me with DP5 was that the system diagnostics gather failed when trying to use the feedback assistant. That after rebuilding permissions and zapping pram on reboot.

iTunes 12 still had all it's bugs too.

So for me, not worth it. I was hoping lots of the bugs I found in PB1 might be fixed in DP5, but that wasn't the case.

I look forward to a stable PB2 and appreciate being able to use and give feedback on PB1.

So, I restored my computer from a time machine backup that I did just before updating to DP5. I used the Command-R option and then restored from a TM backup.

Now I am having issues booting the operating system. I get the circle with the line drawn through it indicating that my operating system is either invalid or nonexistent.

Looks like I'm going to have to reinstall PB1 and then port over my info from the TM backup.

Ok - I'm now back to a stable use of PB1.

Perhaps it is because I have an older late 2008 macbook. 8gb of memory, but still an old dog.

Bugs in PB1 are not terrible, but present. iTunes 12 is terribly buggy however. But its just been rolled out and I expect there will be a lot of cleanup with that.

Last edited:

jg321

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2012
UK
Was running a clean install of PB1 on my rMBP, but found Safari rather buggy on a few websites, and bootup time unacceptably long - I have file vault enabled and it would show the white Apple logo on black screen for around 10 seconds before asking for the disk-unlock password.

Updated to DP5 using the link mentioned in this thread and the problem has gone away!

Typing this from an upgraded Mavs - Yosemite installation on a 21.5" iMac. Not seeing any significant issues, so may hold off on the update until the next PB release...

DSeeker

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2014
Pelham, AL
Typing this from an upgraded Mavs - Yosemite installation on a 21.5" iMac. Not seeing any significant issues, so may hold off on the update until the next PB release...

Running DP5 over PB1 on a 16 GB Mac Mini late 2012 and 27" TB display. I had reported six bugs in PB1 plus a couple of vague unreported glitches and all were fixed by DP5. If I had to stay at DP5 until Yosemite is released that would be fine by me. There may be a memory leak of sorts, but it just seems to move unused RAM from Free to Inactive so I'm not really running short of memory.

Sites like this suffer from selection bias. From the number of people complaining of bugs you'd think Yosemite was terrible, but people who aren't having problems are less motivated to post here. It gives a false sense of gloom and doom. Frankly, I'm impressed by how many things ARE working.

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Sites like this suffer from selection bias. From the number of people complaining of bugs you'd think Yosemite was terrible, but people who aren't having problems are less motivated to post here. It gives a false sense of gloom and doom. Frankly, I'm impressed by how many things ARE working.

I'm very impressed with how Yosemite is thus far...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.