Install Drivers AFTER install?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Soundburst, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

hey guys,

I did the correct thing and downloaded the Windows support files to a usb pen etc.

However upon getting to the Windows install screen where you name the system I can't do anything as the wireless keyboard and mouse won't install.

Now apart from being absolutely furious at this and having to take a wired keyboard and mouse from work tomorrow to actually finish the install; I'm concerned this means the install won't actually properly install the wifi, the graphics etc etc.

Is it possible to download an installer that installs all the proper drivers after you've installed the Windows OS?

Thanks a lot for any help!!! :)

2. Algus macrumors regular

Algus

The bootcamp tool ~should~ install these drivers for you but they are notoriously finicky. Even with everything properly installed on my system, my keyboard has been known to conk out and my magic trackpad is constantly completely losing connection with Windows. Even if it is connected it doesn't work, so whatever. A simple (and cheap) logitech keyboard and mouse combo has me covered for when things aren't working like they should.

As long as you have the utilities on your pen drive, you can run the setup program and install them. If the setup bugs for some reason, most of the drivers all have independent installs so you can run those anyway. For awhile I was running my Bootcamp with only enough of the drivers installed to get basic functionality working.

3. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

There's been a lot of changes to Bootcamp Assistant but it used to be that if you let BA create the USB Windows installer then the drivers were installed during the Windows installation. Never any need to run any Setup program or install anything manually.

4. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cheers guys. Tried the process many times but always got to the Windows install screen. The final bit of it (after selecting language) and the keyboard and mouse would always cease working at that point.

Gave up and removed boot camp.

Thanks!