Install experience windows 7 and bootcamp upgrade to 3.1

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by marcj2, Jan 21, 2010.

1. marcj2 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I have a Imac 27" 2.8Ghz I7 2x4Gb Sdram 2tb drive Ati Radeon HD 4850

I posted this a while back on another place in the forum but now i also did the bootcamp update without any problems.

I thought i'd share my experience installing windows 7 x64 with you step by step.......

First : use the first 12 steps from here: http://www.simplehelp.net/2009/01/1...ndows-7-on-your-mac-the-complete-walkthrough/
    Untill point 12 the text:And Windows 7 will begin to install. It’s a fairly boring process, so you may want to grab yourself a cup of coffee or your beverage of choice.

After this continue with my story:
    When you install windows when it's almost ready to fully install it will loop.
    Windows is almost ready installing and tells you it has to start up again->
    The screen will become black and the computer will start up again, and will go further installing (Which it doesn't really, it looks like it is installing but it doesn't make any further progress, just check the pogress bar...) then again the screen will become black and your computer starts up again, now (cause this is the second time it starts up again) you have to touch a key on your keyboard ( windows will ask during start up: press any key to start up from disc).Rather than running the installation again, choose the little option at the bottom to Repair your computer. Decline any suggestions that pop up until you see a list of options with Command Prompt at the bottom. Choose that option. At the Command Prompt, type DEL C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ATIKMDAG.SYS to delete the default ATI driver, then close the window and reboot. This time, Windows should successfully initialise a more appropriate display driver, allowing you into the desktop.
    When you are into the desktop, windows 7 will download an update for your ATI videocard driver. Just let it install. When windows has finished installing the driver update insert your OS X disc (DO NOT LET THE DISC AUTOMATICALLY INSTALL ALL THE DRIVERS) manually look for a folder with the name:Apple
    Open it and look for a folder with the name x64.
    Install the drivers from this folder, except the following drivers , do not install these or windows will freeze!
    Do not install: all mouse drivers, do not install all bluetooth drivers.
    Now only 1 other driver you do have to install is the sound driver: Cirrus Logic sound driver, can't remember in which folder it is, but it works for x64.
    Also do not install any other drivers from this cd cause for example the driver BOOTCAMP.msi will also freeze windows.
    Now reboot and start up, it will automatically start up windows without asking if you wannna start up Mac or windows.
    Start up again and this time a grey screen will appear, now hold the ALT key during the bootup and it will ask you which system you want to start up. Choose Mac and when you are in the system you can go to system preferences and choose which system you will automatically startup in the future.

Untill now everything works very good, no yellow, no flickering, no big problems...
    The only 2 small problems i have are: no scrolling in windows for my magic mouse ( because of the driver i didn't installl), but no problem cause my mouse works fine for the other buttons.
    And it takes a while before windows recognizes my mouse, it looks likes the mouse is frozen when i startup windows but after 40 seconds it recognizes it and it works.

Now i installed microsoft intellipoint 7 64-bit version, i did this to get my mouse to work better ( a lot more options ). When you have installed the program choose the mouse : sidewinder x8.

As you may have noticed i did not install bootcamp 3.0 on windows 7 yet!
    I installed a few drivers but not bootcamp itself.
    So now i started up windows 7 and put in the mac dvd with bootcamp on it.
    I opened the folder with bootcamp and installed the bootcamp .exe.
    After this i rebooted as asked and downloaded the bootcamp software update 3.1 for windows 64 bit.
    I installed it and rebooted and everything works and is installed ! even the side scrolling on the magic mouse !

Hope this helps you :)
    Updated 26-01-2010

2. squidacre macrumors newbie

Great info, couple questions tho...

Thanks for the detail but that link you posted with the 12 steps doesn't work and really the only LARGE question I have is:

I thought you had to download bootcamp 3.1 BEFORE installing windows 7. I'm running off MBP late 2009 (10.6.2) & my Boot Camp Assistant (3.0.1). I downloaded the file for Boot Camp 3.1 x64 & even though it was .exe it wouldn't execute, only open as text.

Am I really supposed to install Windows 7 before installing boot camp 3.1?

Marty

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

BootCamp 3.1 is just a package of hardware drivers. I believe you need to install an operating system before you install hardware drivers. :D

4. marcj2 thread starter macrumors newbie

squidacre, the link i posted works again.
    If you follow the steps, it will all work for you :)

I now installed also installed the new ATI Radeon Catalyst drivers, i will soon update my instructions on how to install the newest driver.:)

5. dgoodheart1 macrumors newbie

Life saver

Thank you so much. You saved me hours more frustration and expense by this post. However, I think you could cut the number of steps by simply installing Bootcamp 3.1 after you get past the black screen and into windows. It has all the drivers and there is no point in installing them several times over. So I simply downloaded 3.1 earlier in Snow leopard, saved it to a thumb drive, and then plugged in the drive and ran the Bootcamp. Everything seems to be working fine now. Thanks again.

6. squidacre macrumors newbie

So I ended up with trying the VirtualBox route as of a couple hours ago...haven't formed an opinion yet. Thanks for the awesome detail though & I'll let you know if I use your info in the future.

7. marcj2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, i installed the latest Catalyst drivers for my ATI card and got a weird graphic disturbance on my screen, now deleted the catalyst drivers and went back to the original graphic card Bootcamp 3.0 drivers.

I hope new updates of the catalyst drivers will remove this strange looking graphic disturbance. ( i als read i am not the only one with this problem :( )

8. tigereat macrumors regular

'm running Window 7 Pro using BootCamp.

I run WEI with BootCamp 3.0 and I got the following scores

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz 7.5
    Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB 7.5
    Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4850 6.9
    Gaming graphics 2298 MB Total available graphics memory 6.9
    Primary hard disk 441GB Free (464GB Total) 5.9

After installing BootCamp 3.1 I got the following scores

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz 7.5
    Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB 7.5
    Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4850 6.0
    Gaming graphics 2298 MB Total available graphics memory 6.0
    Primary hard disk 441GB Free (464GB Total) 5.9

Something wrong here . Anyone has this ?

My laptop has ATI 4670 and scores 6.7 on both Graphics and Gaming Graphics. How come ATI 4850 got lower scores???
    tigereat is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message