Install Failed - First Aid failed - Help needed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by star555, Oct 12, 2008.

1. star555 macrumors regular

Ive been trying to download the latest security update ( 2008 - 007 ) and after the download is complete I keep getting a warning

Installation had errors ...

Install Failed

The installer could not install some files in ''/''.
    contact the software manufacture for assistance

I tried to download the security update several times and still got the same warning.

Next I tried to ''Repair Disk Permissions '' , and got this warning......

First Aid failed - Disk Utility stopped verifying permissions on '' Macintosh HD
    because the following error was encountered ......

The underlying task reported failure on exit

Then I tried to '' Verify Disk Permissions '' and that came up ......

The volume Macintosh HD appears to be ok

As I am still learning , I am not too sure what to do next , or if the above problems are related in some way ..?

Any advice would be most appreciated :(

Attached Files:

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I would recommend booting up to the restore disc 1 that came with the computer and run Disk Utility from there to verify/repair the disk. If that is unsuccessful in fixing the permissions error you might have to archive and install preserving settings to fix the issue.

3. star555 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice, just going to try that now, and will report on how it goes

4. star555 thread starter macrumors regular

Well Ive tried out using the Disk Utility from the install DVD, and this is the results..

Repair Disk = The volume macintosh HD appears to be ok

Repair Disk Permissions = Error the underlying task reported failure on exit

Verify Disk Permissions = Error the underlying task reported failure on exit

Verify Disk = The volume macintosh HD appears to be ok

note .. Apart from the above .....The iMac seem's to be working ok ?

So I am back to square one , still not sure what to do next ... any advice please :(

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

From your screenshots I assume you've tried downloading the update directly from www.apple.com/support/downloads? As I said in my last post the only thing that I can think of to conceivably resolve this would be an archive and install preserving users and network settings. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1710 has the steps to perform this install option. Bear in mind that you may have to reinstall non-Apple software to get it working correctly again, and that you will have to reapply a number of updates to get back to where you currently are. If you're running Leopard and have a Time Machine backup, you could also try restoring your system to a date prior to when you noticed this issue. With Tiger however, you would have to do an archive and install.

P.S. Actually, I just thought of something else for you to check. Get Info on Macintosh and make sure it isn't locked (in the General section), check the Sharing & Permissions section make sure that you have the correct access privileges. As a last thing prior to the archive and install also make sure your user is listed as an administrator account in the system preferences Accounts pane.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I'd say you'd do a complete system wipe, after backing up your data. That might get rid of this. A archive/install might work, but its better to completely wipe the disk using the restore cd/disk utility. and then repartition and clean install Leopard.

7. star555 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Guy's for the advice, Just one thought do you think DiskWarrior
    would may be sort out this problem, This is my first Mac and ive not had it long, so I am still learning , so its a '' shock '' to have to do a complete system wipe so soon . :(

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Sometimes you just get bad luck, I'm afraid. You could certainly try DiskWarrior, I've seen many HDDs being fixed with this software. Many positive reviews/reports. But to save a little cash in these hard times, I'd just wipe the system. I'd rather get a fresh install than to fix a broken install. Just my $0.02. Good luck with it though.

9. star555 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, If I fresh install from my Apple DVD that came with the iMac, will I have to update to the current 10.5.0 , the reason I ask is that due to my poor dial up internet connection , it could take a long time to download all the up dates in one go , and if I do a fresh install can I use my '' old '' USB
    Seagate 320GB USB externl HDD to do a backup ..? , just one more noob question ...

completely wipe the disk using the restore cd/disk utility. and then repartition and clean install Leopard.

Where would I find info on the .....

repartition and clean install Leopard.

Thanks