Install Final Cut On Separate Hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Macpropro80, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Macpropro80 macrumors 6502

How do I install final cut on an internal disk other then my boot up disk? I am thinking of switching my boot disk to SSD and installing Final Cut on my 1TB internal in drive bay 2. Is this possible?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Does the installer let you choose another volume?
    It's quite some time since I last installed it, so I don't know.

But the real HDD space eater will be all the Application Support files. like DVD Studio Pro templates, Motion templates and the Audio content, which Final Cut Studio stores under Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support.

Moving that will be the biggest problem.

3. Macpropro80 thread starter macrumors 6502

The installer just says it must be a disk with os-x installed.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

So when your boot disk is the SSD with OS X on, then that's the only choice the installer will give you.

maybe having a copy of OS X on the bigger drive could help, but how would Final Cut/Modtion/DVD SP/... know where to look for its templates and stuff, when you run Mac OS from the SSD?

5. snouter macrumors 6502a

This might b stupid... install a minimum copy of OS X on the large drive and then install FCP.

Boot off the SSD and see if you can use FCP?

6. snouter macrumors 6502a

if it traces the files relative to the app or from root it would find them?

/Volumes/myOtherDrive/someFolder/whereThe/Templates/Are

not sure and the FCP install takes a while...

7. ekwipt macrumors 6502

I don't think you can do it, plus anyway i'd advise against it.

Applications shouls always go on the boot drive, the way you'll get more performance is by having your video and audio files on a seperate drive.

A quick way to install FCS2 (maybe not the first time) is to make all the disks into images from the disk util app. These shouls be stored on a seperate firewire disk.

When you want to install final cut studio, you mount all of the disks on to your desktop and install as normal.

Now you don't need to insert all of those disks as you go along and it's a much quicker isntall as the system is now reading the files from a firewire HD rather than DVD

8. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

One option would be use syslinks to move the files to the external drive. I am assuming your doing this because you don't have enough room on the ssd?

9. snouter macrumors 6502a

A full install of FCP Studio is around 50GB...

10. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Yeah I have never used it so i wouldn't know. So your best bet then is to use syslinks.

11. MarianoE macrumors newbie

For best performance, install all the software itself on the boot drive so it goes into the Applications folder properly. Then when installing all the DVD Studio Pro, Soundtrack and Motion content(this is the large bulk of the 50GB), it gives you the option to install it all at a location of your choice.

12. Macpropro80 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am currently planning on running the following set up after i purchase the new drives.

Bay 1: SSD: Boot
    Bay 2: 1TB WD black: Applications
    Bay 3: 1TB WD black: Projects
    Bay 4: 1TB WD black: Scratch Disk

I don't like having final cut on my boot disk, it reads and writes alot, takes up a massive amount of space and makes me worry about failure.

13. MarianoE macrumors newbie

I see what you're saying. I've worked in some very productive and demanding post stations where everything is hooked up to a massive network raid and the applications are installed on the boot/system drive. I don't think you will have any problems with crashing running FCP on the system drive. After all, your scratch disk will be doing most of the reading and writing. Either way, good luck with getting it to work.

14. grue macrumors 65816

During the install process, it will let you put the content files anywhere you please.

15. fcitino macrumors newbie

How about a netork volume

I am trying to install the content on a mounted network volume, but when I navigate the installer to the network volume and click "Choose", the just beeps at me. Any work arounds for this?

fc

16. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Perhaps you will have to bite the bullit and buy a second SSD to get a RAID0 with sufficient size.

17. MrLatte23 macrumors regular

You can move FCS templates after install...

It's pretty easy to move and re-link all of the Final Cut Studio templates even after you've installed them on your boot drive.

Soundtrack Pro's Right Pane has a setup button which will let you re-index the moved folder. LiveType's preferences is where you'd re-index those templates. Motion's preference's: general tab has a spot to select the Content Library and Templates. And in the DVD Studio Pro preferences: Destinations tab, under Show: Palette Elements you can choose can where you put the stock templates and your custom made elements as well. I would suggest locating and copying them over, then re-linking to the new locations and testing before trashing the originals.

I like this set-up because I have many stock video backgrounds (Jumpbacks, Artbeats, etc.) that I use regularly, so I keep all of this type of stuff off of my boot drive AND raw footage scratch disk so that more drives split up the work.

18. fcitino macrumors newbie

thanks

thanks for the info. I will try it this morning.

Frank

19. Divyesh macrumors member

You should read here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2323, i hope you will fix your problem soon.

20. fcitino macrumors newbie

It worked

What I did is I setup and external drive and gave it the same name as the network sharepoint that I really want the content files to live on. Then I installed the content to the external drive and then copied the files to the network sharepoint. Now after a reboot and the external disconnected, the FCP suite finds all the content on the sharepoint.

Frank