Install Flash plug-in: Yes or No

Discussion in 'iMac' started by vrDrew, Jan 9, 2012.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I've been very happy with my iMac over the four months I've owned it.

So far I've resisted installing any version of Flash plug-in. On my previous machines (PCs) I noticed that Flash seemed to be associated with all sorts of freezes, hangs, crashes, and the occasional Malware attack. Maybe I've been hypnotized by the late Steve Job's pronouncements on Flash..

But, sad to tell, it seems like a certain amount of Web content still seems to be available only via Flash.

Is it safe, and/or effective, to install Flash on a late-model iMac? Is there anything to watch out for, and are there any steps I can take to minimize the potential downsides.

Thanks, in advance, for any feedback.

2. The-Pro, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012

The-Pro macrumors 65816

just install it, nothing to worry about.

i also have clicktoflash installed. This plug-in stops flash things from being loaded unless you want it to. It therefor stops annoying things from flashing in your safari windows (like ads) and also decreases CPU usage when browsing.

3. Torrijos macrumors 6502

I removed it... Sometimes its annoying (when trying to download certain videos) but when I need to visit a flash site I launch Chrome, that has its own internal install of flash.

4. srxtr macrumors 6502a

Chrome is the answer

5. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

The solution that works really well is to use Google Chrome. They keep the integrated flash up to date. I've found it's the best way to run flash on a Mac. It also runs cool whereas when I used to run flash before using Chrome, it was a bad as everyone claims. What I always found interesting is one can run flash all day long on a windows laptop and never have a problem. It's never even discussed.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can do as some suggest and not install Flash, using Chrome as your browser. If you prefer to use another browser, this may help: