Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
Hey everyone, I've been delaying an update that keeps popping up from flash as I'm afraid of the malware. I have the latest mac updates but I'm wondering is this safe to install?

With the latest apple updates are we immune to the malware? Can I trust all downloads again?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Just download flash from Adobe's site and install. Unpatched Flash is not a safe thing.
This. Don't trust a random pop up.

If you go into System Preferences -> Flash Player and select the Advanced tab, somewhere in the middle of the window, you can hit "Check Now" to check for updates. If will bring you to an Adobe Flash web page and if you need to, you can start the update process from there.

I actually have Flash set to not automatically check for updates. That way I know random popups about the Flash version are probably bogus.

Roc P.

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2012
Long Island
This. Don't trust a random pop up.

If you go into System Preferences -> Flash Player and select the Advanced tab, somewhere in the middle of the window, you can hit "Check Now" to check for updates. If will bring you to an Adobe Flash web page and if you need to, you can start the update process from there.

I actually have Flash set to not automatically check for updates. That way I know random popups about the Flash version are probably bogus.

When I do this, it doesn't actually allow me to "click" on anything. I just got a pop up from Adobe telling me to update Flash. I followed these directions and was brought to a page that showed me I am not running the current version, but can't click on anything. Now what?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
On the web page, Adobe says:
The table below contains the latest Flash Player version information. Adobe recommends that all Flash Player users upgrade to the most recent version of the player through the Player Download Center to take advantage of security updates.
So click on the link and go through the download/installation.

Roc P.

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2012
Long Island
So click on the link and go through the download/installation.

Just seems so weird that this page: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/?PID=4169666

Wouldn't just offer a link to the update. I cant view the link you sent me on my iPad right now so I have to wait til I get home from work. Just seems odd to have do download a new flash installer every time there is an update. Doesn't make sense to me.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Just seems so weird that this page: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/?PID=4169666

Wouldn't just offer a link to the update. I cant view the link you sent me on my iPad right now so I have to wait til I get home from work. Just seems odd to have do download a new flash installer every time there is an update. Doesn't make sense to me.
Unfortunately Adobe isn't always known for the most streamlined installation and upgrade options. It is strange it can give you a popup and update automatically but if you want to do a manual check, you have to go through extra steps to manually update Flash.

And since the popup has been spoofed on web pages, it's not a safe thing to trust.

Roc P.

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2012
Long Island
Unfortunately Adobe isn't always known for the most streamlined installation and upgrade options. It is strange it can give you a popup and update automatically but if you want to do a manual check, you have to go through extra steps to manually update Flash.

And since the popup has been spoofed on web pages, it's not a safe thing to trust.

Yeah it is really annoying because I have no idea if I am doing it the wrong way or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.