Install from Leopard CD on both PPC and Intel Mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SMVH, Jun 10, 2008.

1. SMVH macrumors newbie

Can I successfully install Leopard on my Dual 2 GHz PPC G5 (running 10.4.11) using the CD that came with my 2.6 GHz Intel Core Duo MacBook Pro (now updated and running 10.5.3)?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

1. you may only install your license on one machine at one time.
    2. if the license and install came with your machine, it is bound to that machine type.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

No.

The installer won't start installing because it's looking for a specific hardware signature.

Plus, that's a violation of the software license agreement that comes with Leopard.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

And the discs that come with computers are machine specific.

5. The General macrumors 601

But, if you had a retail Leopard disc, you could install it on a PPC or an Intel machine. If that answers your question. The installer is universal.

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hey...

Hey, how about you not be cheap and illegal by buying a licensed copy for each computer? I mean, it's $129, and if you can afford both a G5 and a MBP, you can't be hurting too much for cash.

7. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

I bought a new, unopened copy of Leopard second hand for $80 and, yes, the retail version can be installed on both platforms. Initially I was concerned I may miss out on 90 days of support because I did not buy it straight from Apple.

To my surprise, when I called Apple support about two weeks after I installed Leopard, they informed me I indeed have 90 days of support. I hope this person was right and not just well meaning.

I found my Leopard on Craig's List. If you find any sort of software for sale I recommend only purchasing new, unwrapped software just to be safe. There are a lot of people selling things they claim have never been installed when actually they have.

8. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

90 days of support after you buy Leopard? Surely it doesn't cover more than the installation, which is pretty simple anyway.

I would never recommend buying new software secondhand. Way too easy to shrink wrap these days...

9. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

And ppl wonder why Apple doesn't license it's OS? I prefer it this way, heck even Dell restore disks are designed for certain dell computers.

Bear in mind that restore disk is NOT JUST the OS but has other things on it as well, so it IS a 'restore' disk per say for THAT computer (at least that computer type)

I agree though, pony up the cash and do it right.

10. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Nope. It is genuine full Apple support for 90 days.

I agree about the shrink wrap issue. We need to watch fr that. I made sure mine had the correct sticker labels on the wrapping.

11. SMVH thread starter macrumors newbie

My concern whether or not the software CD, be it from another system or retail, is platform specific... e.g. PPC versus Intel, and if it includes dual licensing for one registered person, as some Adobe, Quark, MS products do e.g. for your personal computer and your laptop.

Thank you "The General" and others for the Apple licensing/tech info. That answers my question. I guess my question was unclear and ambiguous, hence 'certain' abrupt responses.