Install gone south...

portico3d

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
Had trouble booting up the IMac G5 1.8 ghz that my parents gave me, so I booted off the Mac OS X Leopard disk I was given. I did an erase everything, start fresh install......came back an hour and a half later after the install and it said "failed to install, need 10.4 before you can install 10.5".......oh no! I was given the wrong disc.......got right discs now, using disc 1, but pizza wheel at "Select a Destination" screen. "You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume without changing your install settings. Click options to change settings. A newer version of Mac OS X is installed." Pizza wheel for about 30 mins now? Should I try something else?
Something new......ran a hardware test and got an error message on mass storage category......
***ERROR*CODE***ERROR*CODE***
2STF/4/3:S-ATA-Bus O - Master

***ERROR*CODE***ERROR*CODE***

Last edited:

velocityg4

macrumors 601
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Could I use disk one - utilities for that?
When you boot off the disc go to the Utilities menu and select disk utilities. From there you can go to the erase tab and erase the disk or go to the partition tab and repartition. Just be sure to choose Mac OS Extended Journaled.

Note: This will wipe the hard drive. Any files or programs will be lost.

Last edited:
Comment

portico3d

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
When you boot off the disc go to the Utilities menu and select disk utilities. From there you can go to the erase tab and erase the disk or go to the partition tab and repartition. Just be sure to choose Mac OS Extended Journaled.

Note: This will wipe the hard drive. Any files or programs will be lost.
I've been trying that and it comes back "failure to erase"

Comment

mmomega

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I came across a problem like this when I replaced the HDD in my 2009 iMac. I had to use the original grey discs that came with the computer to "initially" install OSX to the new SSD. after that initial install I could format as often as I want just with my homemade USB drive.

I tried every option available but no install would take until I put in the original disc that came with the machine.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.