Install gone south...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by portico3d, Jan 12, 2012.

1. portico3d, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012

portico3d macrumors newbie

Had trouble booting up the IMac G5 1.8 ghz that my parents gave me, so I booted off the Mac OS X Leopard disk I was given. I did an erase everything, start fresh install......came back an hour and a half later after the install and it said "failed to install, need 10.4 before you can install 10.5".......oh no! I was given the wrong disc.......got right discs now, using disc 1, but pizza wheel at "Select a Destination" screen. "You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume without changing your install settings. Click options to change settings. A newer version of Mac OS X is installed." Pizza wheel for about 30 mins now? Should I try something else?
    Something new......ran a hardware test and got an error message on mass storage category......
    ***ERROR*CODE***ERROR*CODE***
    2STF/4/3:S-ATA-Bus O - Master

***ERROR*CODE***ERROR*CODE***

2. imahawki macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you need to reformat before you can install the older version.

3. portico3d thread starter macrumors newbie

Could I use disk one - utilities for that?

4. velocityg4, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012

velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

When you boot off the disc go to the Utilities menu and select disk utilities. From there you can go to the erase tab and erase the disk or go to the partition tab and repartition. Just be sure to choose Mac OS Extended Journaled.

Note: This will wipe the hard drive. Any files or programs will be lost.

5. portico3d thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been trying that and it comes back "failure to erase"

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Did you try to repartition or just erase?

7. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I came across a problem like this when I replaced the HDD in my 2009 iMac. I had to use the original grey discs that came with the computer to "initially" install OSX to the new SSD. after that initial install I could format as often as I want just with my homemade USB drive.

I tried every option available but no install would take until I put in the original disc that came with the machine.