Install GTX550 Ti in MacPro 1,1

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Fxguy, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Fxguy macrumors newbie

I'm trying to install a GTX550 Ti card to replace my old GeForce 7300 GT. Anyone know if it is possible? Under System Profiler it lists the following information:

Display:

Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    Slot: Slot-1
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x1244
    Revision ID: 0x00a1
    Displays:
    Display Connector:

So it looks like it recognizes that a card is in the slot, but not which card. Any help?

2. Asgorath macrumors 65816

You should check the FAQ thread for more details. What OS are you running?

3. Fxguy thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm running OS 10.6.8 at the moment.

I know I need to update, but Mountain Lion will not run, I tried to update via the app store and told me it is not compatible with this computer.

4. MacVidCards Suspended

Try Lion.

Will work with 10.7.5 and Nvidia drivers.

I can write an EFI for it but would require a Mac Pro 3,1 or later.

5. Fxguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for the replies. Its a work in progress.... I upgraded to Lion and the card now works. A few glitches when trying screen sharing and when I turned on overscan, but better quality over all.

Now my problem is that I had to use the two power ports from the optical drive bay to feed the new video card. How do I get more ports so I can put my optical drives back?

Thanks!

6. Asgorath macrumors 65816

You'll want to update to the new 295.00.05f03 driver as well. There should be small power connectors on your motherboard, which use the low-profile 6-pin power cables that are specific to the Mac Pro. Details in the FAQ thread, including links on where you can buy the cables.