Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The General

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
Does anybody know if I can install a HDD in a 27" iMac if I order it with just the 256GB SSD? All I've found Googling is that it's a pain to install an SSD if you order one with only a HDD.

I want HDD+SSD in an iMac, but I want a 3TB hard drive, so ordering SSD-only and installing the HDD myself would be the best way to do it, I just dunno what the cables and stuff are like on the inside.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
It should be possible as there is space for HD + SSD combo. However, I would just put the HD in FW800 enclosure because it's not much slower than the HD. Saves you the hassle

steve77uk

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
UK
Does anybody know if I can install a HDD in a 27" iMac if I order it with just the 256GB SSD? All I've found Googling is that it's a pain to install an SSD if you order one with only a HDD.

I want HDD+SSD in an iMac, but I want a 3TB hard drive, so ordering SSD-only and installing the HDD myself would be the best way to do it, I just dunno what the cables and stuff are like on the inside.

I would like to put a 2TB inside my iMac save me having extra drives on my desk - let me know if you manage to do it - I have 2 x 2TB FW800 drives as it is. I want another internally so that I can SuperDuper it to an external FW800 and put it in my safe...

pr33tz

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2008
London, UK
I want to do the exact same, add a 2TB HD to my 256 SSD. When I opened it up, there was no hard drive caddy for the 2TB drive. Anybody know where you can buy one?

The General

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
I want to do the exact same, add a 2TB HD to my 256 SSD. When I opened it up, there was no hard drive caddy for the 2TB drive. Anybody know where you can buy one?

Thanks for this. Guess I'l be ordering it with a 1TB+256GB and swapping the 1TB with a 3TB.

steve77uk

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
UK
I have returned my refurb with just SSD and ordered the SSD with 2TB instead. Now sorted, yes paid more but oh well, I now have what I wanted to end up with!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.