Install HDD myself or take to apple store?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tom Foolery, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Tom Foolery macrumors regular

I just bought a 500GB HDD for my MBP and I want to install it myself but i don't want to do anything stupid and screw it all up. Should i just take it in to the apple store and have them do it for me.

If i do end up doing it myself how should i go about copying my HDD. should i put it in a case, format it and carbon copy. or should i swap out HDs first then install leopard then carbon copy.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Installing a MacBook Pro hard drive is not too hard honestly. Here is a guide that you can follow here.

3. Slowstick macrumors 6502

It really isn't that hard at all. However, if you have the opportunity to go to the Apple Store and have an ACPP, they should do it for you for free.

4. tacomahunter macrumors regular

tacomahunter

Give it a go yourself. I did it a few weeks ago and it was pretty easy as long as you follow the directions and tape your screws to the printed of sheet. Have fun!

5. Tom Foolery thread starter macrumors regular

thanks i think i will do it myself because i don't have an ACPP. so which order should i copy the drive in. switch/install/copy or copy/switch

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'd connect it via USB or FireWire and make a bootable backup of the current drive using Carbon Copy Cloner.

7. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

it is easy but doing so WILL void your applecare warranty.

8. youssefm macrumors 6502

yeah, be careful.. to have it not void the warranty you need a certified applecare technician to do it.. it would have been easier if it was like the macbook, where it doesnt void your warrant -_-

9. Tom Foolery thread starter macrumors regular

i don't need to worry about the warrenty. i didn't buy the ACPP and my MBP was bought over a year ago.

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Personally I would've spent the money on the Applecare, you WILL need it and when the time comes, you will wish you had bought it. To heck with the HDD upgrade, that can be done anytime.

11. Tom Foolery thread starter macrumors regular

well if or when that time comes i can take it to the apple store and pay them to repair it. take it to a mac repair person. or my favorite option. buy a new mac. if my MBP holds out for another year then i don't care if it breaks... but if it does i can probably repair it for less than 250 then sell it and buy new.

12. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

sounds like you've thought this through. if you know how to do the upgrade go for it. i would create a copy partition of your drive to a disk or a spare external and then swap the drives, otherwise, install a fresh copy on a new partition and don't worry about carbon copying your existing stuff if you have the install disks for all your proggies.

13. pointandclick macrumors regular

It's easy enough to do. There's certainly a number of screws to get the top off, but not difficult.;)

I agree with you on applecare. When I was in highschool our IT? guy was a big Apple guy and even he said for personal use applecare isn't worth it. Most problems should present themselves within a year, and $350 will replace about anything on a computer.

14. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

What are you talking about.

Upgrading the HDD doesn't void your warranty. If you mess something up while upgrading it then your warranty is void, also Apple won't cover anything that happens to the new HDD.

15. mrmister macrumors regular

"to have it not void the warranty you need a certified applecare technician to do it"

bzzzzzzt. wrong.

16. phoobo macrumors regular

not exactly a ringing endorsement ...

...for apple

17. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

1) Replacing the Hard Drive Does Not Void Your Warranty

2) A baby / well trained monkey could do it

respect to the :apple: