install help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AL2TEACH, Mar 12, 2009.

1. AL2TEACH macrumors 6502

used a macbook to put 10.5 on the cube. I since then got an Intel 24' 2.8 iMac. I tried to put the system on the cube for my sister but can't start up from the disc using the imac. keep getting the kernel panic. aaaiiiieeeeee. any ideas. the install disc is the retail version. thanks.
    :eek: :confused: :(

2. BobZune macrumors 6502a

The Cube is PowerPC G4, and the iMac is Intel, so there are architectural differences. {Assuming you are starting up from the Installed disk on the G4, e.g., using Firewire target mode.}

Install from the retail disk and bring over the information using Migration Assistant (some applications may need special handling).

3. AL2TEACH thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks bob. I want to use the imac to put a clean 10.5 on the cube, I'm giving it to my sister. it's the retail version of 10.5. my problem is when I try to start up from the disc, I always get a really nice grey screen that says in short, kernel panic. I tried holding the c key down, clicking on the start up icon on the disc, and opening system prefs and using the disc as a startup disc and all resulted in kernel panics.

4. BobZune macrumors 6502a