Install iLife from MBP disks to iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by m-ac, Jul 15, 2010.

1. m-ac macrumors newbie

Hi

My current MBP I bought new earlier in the year so has both software disks etc.

Now, I bought an iMac second hand this week and I find the install disks are missing. I have bought a new copy of snow leopard but im wondering if theres a way of installing just the iLife apps from the MBP disks onto my iMac?

Thanks in advance :)

2. MacKeeperFanMod macrumors regular

MacKeeperFanMod

Well, I'm not sure if it's compatible, but you can simply try - it won't brake anything, I'm certin. There are another problem - maybe licenses don't grant you a right to install software on more that one computer at a time. If you do care about licenses, check them out first.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

You definitely don't have a license to install on another computer, even if you own it.

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No. Grey restore discs only work with the exact model they came with.

6. celticpride678

No. The discs only work with the Mac that they came with.

7. m-ac thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers. I found a solution by searching youtube which involves using pacifist. Legally, may be 'wrong' but I dont care in this instance tbh, have spent enough with Apple in the last 2 years to not feel bad :D

8. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

The iMac comes with iLife so I don't see a problem. O.k. it's going about it in a suspect way to install it, which probably is against licenses etc.

No doubt some of the MR Morality Police will attempt to strike you down.

In the future I may be in a similar position. I own iLife 09, I have the box, can I find the Media? no, if I need to reinstall it on my 06' MacBook I'd have to use the media from my 10' Mac Mini.