Install iLife on iMac from Software Reinstall Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by philip456, Nov 12, 2010.

1. philip456 macrumors newbie

philip456

The USB "Software Reinstall Drive" that came with my MacBook Air, has iLife on it.
    The "Software Reinstall Drive" is recognised by my iMac and I can open it.
    However, when I try to run the iLife installer it says that it cannot install on this computer.
    Does anyone have any ideas or do you think that it is irrevocably fixed to the MacBook Air?

2. bamf macrumors 6502

Just like Apple reinstallation DVDs, the USB stick is tied to the machine it came with (the MBA).

3. teski macrumors regular

As it should be. Also, the iLife you bought is not a family pack so you aren't licensed to use it on multiple machines anyway.

4. Truffy macrumors 6502a

Truffy

Installing on a different computer is not the same as installing on an additional computer. Agreed, if the OP is trying to install on more than computer that's against the license, but should a user be stopped from installing iWork on a desktop if it's removed/deactivated on the MBA?

5. bamf macrumors 6502

I think in the case of a new machine from Apple, you are licensed to run the software on the machine it came with (OEM licensing basically).

6. flatfoot macrumors 65816

This is just a technical answer without a judgement whether it's ok or not to install on a different Mac.

1. open a Terminal window
    2. type '/Volumes/Mac OS X Install/Packages/iLife' (including the single quotes)
    3. hit <ENTER>
    4. type "open iLife.pkg" (without the quotes)
    5. hit <ENTER>

This will launch the installer on any Mac.