install imovie 06 and imovie 09

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Leo D, May 11, 2010.

1. Leo D macrumors newbie

I am trying to install both imovie 06 and imovie 09, so I can use either app. When I installed imovie 06, the viewer in imovie 09 stopped working...I could see the video clips in the event library of imovie 09, they even moved when scrubbed, but the viewer was black. Not to mention, MPEGStreamClip, JES, and QT also stopped working correctly. I had audio, but no video.

So I tried uninstalling both imovie 09 and 06, installing 06 first, then reinstalling 09. After reinstalling 09, 06 wouldn't open when I clicked it. Even following the advice of the Apple representative - uninstall the entire iLife 09 suite, install the entire iLife 06 suite, and reinstall the iLife 09 suite, didn't work.

If 06 is installed first, it won't open after installing 09. If 09 is installed first, the viewer (and the aforementioned softwares) don't play video, audio only.

Any suggestions?

2. Leo D thread starter macrumors newbie

Nevermind, I figured it out...if anyone else is struggling with this, here's what worked for me. Install imovie 06 first, run software updates, then put 06 in the trash, but don't empty it. Install imovie 09, run software updates. Then get imovie 06 out of the trash. Simple. Stupid, but simple.

Working with imovie 06 briefly with a few video clips I was playing around with in 09, I can clearly see a quality improvement. Hopefully, that will carry over to the DVD I will eventually create.

If you have any problem importing clips, you can try going into the imovie project folder and placing the files directly into the media folder. When you open the project in imovie 06, you will be advised that there are items in the trash (the clips you placed in the media folder). Just drag them to the media library and you're good to go.

All I have to do now is figure out how to get my project into and out of imovie 09, to take advantage of some of the cool effects in there, without losing too much quality.