Install iOS 5 GM with iTunes 10.5 released today?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LagFighter, Oct 11, 2011.

1. LagFighter, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011

LagFighter macrumors regular

Title says it all. Is it possible to install the GM with the iTunes 10.5 released today via Apple Software Update? Want to make sure before I risk bricking my device.

Let me know if this should be in a separate subforum.

---

EDIT: Just discovered that by installing the GM, I am unable to do an upgrade - just a straight restore. Guess I'll wait it out. Mods, feel free to lock.

2. LagFighter thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, but could you provide a source? Do you have personal experience?

Not that I don't believe you, but I was hoping for a bit more than a simple "yes".

3. jap1198 macrumors 6502

The GM is basically the final product so it should work.

4. iKIKO macrumors regular

iKIKO

you can do it right now without any problems bro, i have been using it on i4 and iPad 2 this week, and it is very very stable. just like the one going out tomorrow..

5. Ponderous macrumors regular

At this point I would just wait for the official release. Get some sleep. Go to work/school. Think about all the fellow macRumor members just watching the clock to get home and fire up iTunes (for the last time I might add)

We can all get through this together.

6. LagFighter thread starter macrumors regular

Well, that's actually what I was hoping to avoid...

Hear me out. I think it makes more sense to go for it now when the servers aren't jammed to oblivion. That's how it was last year, if I remember correctly.

7. Ponderous macrumors regular

I hear what you are saying for sure. I'm just hoping it won't be that bad. LOL :eek:

8. rman726 macrumors 6502

I'm planning on restoring my phone tomorrow to the clean iOS 5, so that hopefully I can sync with iCloud in preparation for my 4S.

9. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

What do you lose when you restore? Contacts, messages, apps?

10. 808? macrumors 6502a

Works no problem with iTunes 10.5.

Did a full backup before hand and restored everything without issue, all apps working and everything stable (so far).

11. blinkin182 macrumors regular

blinkin182

I guess my memory is short, as each major update I forget every time: Does anyone know if one can just do an "update" tomorrow or will we all have to do a restore to upgrade to iOS5?

Also: If I do a restore, I will lose all my media content and photos? I manually manage music and videos, will I have to manually copy everything back or will it do that for me?

12. 808? macrumors 6502a

When I did my full restore from my most recent iPhone backup, everything was back in place, photos, music, videos and so on.

13. blinkin182 macrumors regular

blinkin182

Thanks for your answer, but do you usually have "manually manage music and videos" ticked in your preferences or have you got it setup to sync automatically?

I have the impression that when you manually manage your music, it doesn't necessarily restore it.

14. Silentsky macrumors newbie

I can tell you confidently that if you make a backup before you restore your iphone and when you upgrade it to ios5 GM, the system will ask you whether you want to recover the device with your backup. You can use the backup,and everything in your iPhone will back,it just take some time.

15. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Getting kinda tempted to do this to avoid the crapstorm tomorrow when the millions of updaters bring Apple's servers to their knees. I don't know why but I always get paranoid about losing my backup though, like somehow I'll be the one exception :eek:

16. 808? macrumors 6502a

I manually manage my music and videos.

Relax - backup in full, upgrade to 10.5 (iTunes) and you are good to go.

Enjoy :apple: