Install iPod 3G touch firmware on iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Slappa, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Slappa macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

My boss wants me to put iPod touch firmware on his old iPhone 3GS for the purpose of giving it to his 5 year old son. He doesn't want his son to know it used to be an iPhone (he will be getting a case too etc).

I couldn't find much on the web on this topic because people usually install iPhone firmware on iPod touch and not vice versa.

I have a 3G iPod touch firmware iOS 5.1.1 ready to go with redsnow but I am weary of bricking the phone. Will I be fine to go ahead and do so?

Thanks in advance

2. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Probally won't even get it on, and if you do get it on probally bricked.

A 5 year-old will catch on rather quickly that is used to be a phone anyway, sim-tray and all.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's not possible.
    You cannot install ipod touch or another idevices firmware that's not compatible with that model and version.
    All he has to do is take out the sim and it becomes an ipod touch, Im sure his 5 year old kid wont mind.

4. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Can't do it - besides, the speaker on front of the handset is a dead giveaway that it's a phone.

Side point - why does a grown man need to hide anything from his 5 year old kid? "Hi son, this used to be a phone - now it can't make calls. Don't like it? Then you don't get anything at all."

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Bam, exactly:D
    My 5 year old loves playing with my iphone. That would be the day if he told me that he dont want it cause its a phone instead of an ipod touch:D