Install is hanging, what to do?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Newfiejudd, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Newfiejudd macrumors regular

I tried an install on my iPhone 5 and it seems to be just hanging, it got to about 65% completed after I swiped for the upgrade.

What should I do next? Don't want to brick my iPhone.

Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

How long are you waiting? Give it time to do its thing.

3. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Do a hard reset (Hold sleep and home button until the Apple logo appears) and it will finish up lickity split.

4. Newfiejudd thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks that seems to have worked. It's going through the update process again.

5. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

I hate to say it but you probably shouldn't be installing iOS 8, which the beta was announced just over 24 hours ago, on a phone that you're worried about bricking.

If it's for development, you have a developer account, and something renders the in warranty iPhone broken then Apple will help you out. So no worries.

If you're just wanting to play with a shiny new OS and it's not a sure thing that Apple will help you if something goes wrong, then yeah, I wouldn't. At the very least wait for 2-3 beta releases from now.

With that said I'd side with jpetticrew, a hard reset will likely reset it and finish up the install. Worst case you just put it in DFU mode and restore/upgrade it again.