Install Java and Tomcat on a Server

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by MegaMan1311, Mar 4, 2008.

1. MegaMan1311 macrumors regular

Hello.

I'm getting a new linux centOS VPS (its a huge improvement from my old shared hosting). The only problem is that Java is not installed. My experience with Java is non existent, so I am confused. I run a few Java applets on my site, so I need to install Java.

My question is what do I need to install? Do I just need to install java, or do I also need to install Apache Tomcat?

I don't understand Apache Tomcat either. What does it do? Can you run Java applets without it?

I'm confused... :confused:

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You won't need either a JDK nor Tomcat. Your users (visitors to your site) will be the ones requiring a Java runtime in order to view your Applets, which is a client side technology.

3. MegaMan1311 thread starter macrumors regular

Really? Wow. I didn't realize that it was that easy. Also, I forgot to mention that it links to a .jar file. Does that change anything?

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You will just have to make sure your web server delivers the proper mime-type for jar files. IIRC, it should be 'application/x-java-archive'

Don't worry about having to do this unless you have a problem downloading and running the applet.

5. MegaMan1311 thread starter macrumors regular

Great! Thanks for your help. You don't know how much time and work you saved me. Thanks again!