Install latest AMD GPU drivers for Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by AnTaR3s, Jan 4, 2016.

1. AnTaR3s macrumors regular

AnTaR3s

Hey there!

I have been a happy Mac user for 7 years now, but I still have to fall back to Windows10/Bootcamp for gaming. Recently I upgraded to the late 2015 riMac from (from my 2012 imac), which meant going from nVidia to AMD. After about two months of using the machine I must say that I am very happy with the exception of the GPU. Long story short: I will never ever buy AMD stuff again. That said, I was wondering if anyone managed to manually install the latest GPU drivers from AMD directly instead of waiting months and months for Apple to update the GPU drivers.

I found these instructions
    http://www.remkoweijnen.nl/blog/2015/09/21/update-amd-display-driver-under-bootcamp/
    but I am not sure if I can trust them. Has anyone experience with updating the AMD drivers manually for their machines?

thanks a lot! :)

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I may do what that blog suggests, but the comments section seems to support that it is a legit work around, lots of success stories

3. AnTaR3s thread starter macrumors regular

AnTaR3s

Hey jenzjen. Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately there is a post (December 20th) which states this does not work with the m395x (thats the one I have). Might try it anyway if Apple delays driver updates any longer...how hard can it be to sign the latest drivers when such a simple workaround as in this post works for most users...

4. HumpYourWayUp macrumors regular

HumpYourWayUp

Does anyone know if Apple finally released a driver update for the m390x?

5. AnTaR3s thread starter macrumors regular

AnTaR3s

6. HumpYourWayUp macrumors regular

HumpYourWayUp

That is true. But it is Apple's fault. They should have used the NVIDIA 980M/960M for the 15" inch pro laptops not a three year old AMD GPU.
    Lately Apple feels really cheap :-(

7. AnTaR3s thread starter macrumors regular

AnTaR3s

8. HumpYourWayUp macrumors regular

HumpYourWayUp

9. AnTaR3s thread starter macrumors regular

AnTaR3s

I think it is a great solution. So far I have always had the need for a powerful Desktop machine (for the GPU) and also a powerful mobile machine. I never switched completely to the MacBook line since the support of 4k/5k is still limited (but apparently the latest revisions of the MacBooks handle them quite well) and the GPUs are always crap. I am really looking forward to the day where I only have one computer and a base station at home which enhances its capabilities.

10. HumpYourWayUp macrumors regular

HumpYourWayUp

11. ghislain macrumors member

Yes it works. In fact, you can avoid steps 4 and 5 by restarting windows with signature driver check inactivated (restart windows whilepressing shift key). In such conditions, AMD drivers and CCC intall without any problem...

12. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

Are these updates even worth the effort? From what I can see they include a brightness fix. I haven't experienced any issue with brightness. Should I still update?

edit:
    I see on the AMD site that there are plenty of fixes for various games. Still for a non gamer?

13. AnTaR3s thread starter macrumors regular

AnTaR3s

For me it would also mostly be about the games. For example Elite: Dangerous is almost unplayable with the version Apple provides.
    Also, I have heard there are some problems with Oculus Rift in Bootcamp and AMD machines, but that will only affect very few people, I guess...