Install Leopard and now no memory left???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ripcurlsurfin96, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Ripcurlsurfin96 macrumors member

Hey there,

I just installed the new Leopard and now i have only 3 gigs of memory left out of the original 74.21 gb. I know before i installed it i had ~27 gigs left, is there anyway to find out what is taking up all the additional space? Any way that the Tiger wasn't upgraded and leopard just installed in a second spot? How can i check...

Thanks again! :confused:

2. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

You could use Disk Inventory X to figure out where your bigger files are.

That install is 25gigs, that's huge. I guess you installed with every box checked, and did an archive and install right? If you're happy with your new installation, delete the archive.

3. Ripcurlsurfin96 thread starter macrumors member

Ok u speak of this archive...Im sorry I am still learning macs and what not. Where can i find this archive. Thanks alot!!

4. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

I don't recall with certainty, but I believe there's a folder at the top level of your hard drive called Previous Systems or something. If I recall correctly, when you do Archive and Install, it leaves your user folder and apps in place, Archives the System folder, and replaces it with the System folder for the new OS, in your case, leopard. It will also add any new Applications and that come with Leopard to the apps folder.

5. Ripcurlsurfin96 thread starter macrumors member

Looks Like i found a folder that I backed up then deleted that brought me back up to 16 gbs. Still wondering about the other 5 or so haha. Its all good though!

Thanks for the help!!

6. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

Well a full install of Leopard, minus some of the Apple apps you already had, would equal about 5gigs. If you did archive, then you still have that archive somewhere wasting space.

7. Ripcurlsurfin96 thread starter macrumors member

Ok sounds good, I will keep Looking, If someone else can chime in also and can give me file or folder name to look for I would really appreciate it!

Thanks again!!!

8. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

FYI, you don't have 74.21 GB of memory. You have 74.21 GB of hard drive space.