Install Leopard on a Terabyte

Discussion in 'macOS' started by discosoap, Mar 22, 2009.

1. discosoap macrumors regular

Dear all,

is there anyone who can help me with the following question;

why would it be a bad (or good) idea to install my OS on a FW400 Terabyte?? (the hard drive of my mac mini file server is dead. I am now thinking of installing data & OS on the same external FW drive)

All help is appreciated.

ps. would I still be able to use timemachine over ethernet ?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

You shouldn't have any problems doing this. If it were me, I'd probably purchase a new internal drive and replace the broken one. Mainly to save space and number of coords connected. Good luck.

4. discosoap thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your response !!

the problem is, I don't know whether my 2.5" sata drive failed or if my Sata controller on the motherboard is dead. I have no idea how to isolate this problem, and testing means opening up my Mini, with no assurance it will ever work (replacing a dead Sata controller might be a very expensive joke, without waranty). This is why I thought of the FW400 solution. Is there a way to isolate the problem to the disc or the controller on the motherboard ???