Install Leopard on G4 powerbook 12" using Target disk mode

Discussion in 'macOS' started by davehendi, Oct 19, 2008.

1. davehendi macrumors newbie

I really hope someone can help after spending 8 hours unsuccessfully trying to install leopard on a friends Powerbook G4 I am slowly using patience.

The processor is 867Mhz G4 with 1Gb of Crucial (3rd party) memory RAM newly installed the optical DVD Superdrive is broken. (standard memory was 256Mb). The copy of Leopard I have is an official copy on DVD.

Because of the issue with the DVD drive I used Target disc mode with the Powerbook connected to an Intel MacBook with Tiger installed (10.4.9). The hard-disc had been reformatted by accident so no OS was on when I started trying to install leopard onto the PowerBook.

The first problem I encountered was that when selecting the disc to install on, it suggested the powerbook needed to be in GUID format. I was able to do this using disc utility from the MacBook and selecting the drive from the PowerBook using the target disc mode. Is this correct or does it have to be a different type of reformat for a PowerPC based machine? Is it because I have used an Intel machine to reformat or have I actually done the right thing?

I thought at first I had done the right thing as the install started and completed fine the 2nd time I tried, I was able to select the PowerBooks Harddisc. Once completed I completed the initial setup using the Macbook to enter required data (name details etc). The Macbook was displaying leopard as if a fresh install had worked (Powerbook still connected in target disc mode) I am presuming at this point leopard was installed ok on the Powerbook as the macbook had used it as a startup disc.

After disconnecting the powerbook and attempting to boot it up by itself all that happens is an icon with a ? and the 'finder' logo alternating appears.

I am now completely stuck and confused as leopard appears to have been installed ok but the machine wont start.

Is the hard disc reformatted ok?

The computer meets minimum spec for Leopard (albeit only just)

I have been recommended superduper to make a clone of the machine with tiger (or another i have access to with leopard) and put this clone copy onto the drive any advice doing this would help.

If there is something else I should be doing please let me know asap as the friend that the computer belongs to is going traveling in 2 weeks and wishes to take computer with her.

I am fairly computer literate but for matters like this need step by step instructions to help.

Please please can any one shed any light on this matter.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Have you tried holding Option at startup? This will allow you to boot from any available Systems installed. You did install a PPC version of Leopard right? I figure you did if you got through the Registration stuff. I have no real experience with doing a target disk installation, but would not anticipate any real complications. Sounds like you did it the way I would have, though I am not familiar with the GUID format. Never seen that dialog before.

No other info on this?

3. davehendi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that.

I presume by a PPC copy of leopard you mean an official copy if you do then yes it is a bought copy.

I have tried booting the machine in the way you said but no joy im afraid.

Thanks again

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I'm also not familiar with Target Disk Mode installation but since you installed it form an Intel Mac, and that Mac was able to boot from the hard drive, it must have installed an Intel version of Leopard and that's why the PowerBook - which requires a PPC version - won't start.

5. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

6. davehendi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so where or how do I get a PPC (worked out what it means now) version from I thought it was 'Universal' software or are you saying that simply because i have used an intel mac it has chosen itself to install the intel version? Is there a way around this using the disc I own?