install leopard on new hard drive?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by offwidafairies, Mar 10, 2009.

1. offwidafairies macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

Hi my MBP hdd is dying and i have everything backed up in timemachine. I just bought a new hdd to install but cannot find my original disks that came with the computer (i have moved several times). I have a copy of the Leopard upgrade disk they sent me, but not tiger.
    Is it possible to use this leopard upgrade disk to install on a fresh hdd?
    This is an urgent problem and if I cannot fix this soon I will need to buy another copy of Leopard - at $129 I am not happy with this option as I don't have much money and I already legitimately own it - I have just lost it!
    Please help! THANKS

2. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Yes it is possible, however technically if the copy of Leopard has already been installed on another machine than it is not a legal license of Leopard. I believe after inserting the disk, hold down the C key to initiate the process. It's important to note though that it won't install any of the iLife apps, but it may be possible to use copy them from your Time Machine backup.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

They don't make upgrade disks for Leopard that I know of. I could be wrong, but I think those disks will work fine (as mentioned, they need to be for the computer they were intended for, but I think I'm getting the impression they are).

As mentioned, you should be able to use it to restore from a Time Machine backup regardless, which should get you a booting system.

jW

4. offwidafairies thread starter macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

it would be on the same machine, just a different hdd. is this legal?

5. offwidafairies thread starter macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

leopard install disk can't find my hdd?

so i cloned the old hdd onto the new one and installed it in the mbp. started up the computer and it is fine, but i wanted to reinstall osx 10.5 from scratch and start again. the install disk looks for previous versions of osx and can't find any so it says it can't install leopard. then i look in disk utility and the new hdd doesn't even show up. it is a 320Gb drive. i am totally confused. :confused:

6. Lershac macrumors regular

here ya go

credit to nix.hanno who I got this info from,

To perform a fresh / clean installation of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard to a totally blank/formatted hard drive using nothing but the upgrade DVD, do the following:

1. Boot from the Mac OS X Leopard Upgrade DVD (hold 'c' while booting).
    2. Notice that the check for previous will fail (and "Continue" button is grayed out).
    3. Choose the option of restoring from a Time Machine backup and go as far as you can (note: if you do actually have a Time Machine backup, pretend that you don't - making sure you've already removed any backup drives you may have plugged in).
    4. Now go back to (almost) the initial screen.
    5. Notice the "Continue" button is no longer grayed out...
    6. Install Leopard while drinking a beer.

7. Amdahl macrumors 65816

You can also just restore from your Time Machine using the upgrade disk, if the above trick isn't what you want.

If your new hard disk isn't showing up, it is because you need to run Disk Utility from the menubar before proceeding farther into the install. Disk Utility will be used to create 1 partition. Make sure you aren't doing this to one of your existing drives! Once that is done, the installer or time Machine will recognize it.

8. offwidafairies thread starter macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

great thanks! all is working well :) am very pleased with the new hdd and the extra space. and proud of myself for pulling apart the laptop myself :p thanks for all the help!

9. truemotive71 macrumors newbie

how did u clone it onto the new one? im sory, maybe i should start a new thread. if you could tell me how you cloned the old one onto the new one and did this work at all?

10. Lershac macrumors regular

super duper, google it, there is a free version available to try.

11. Bizegt500 macrumors newbie

You are the Man! or Woman :)

Wow This was so helpful. Thank you so much! Im a new member. and Im trying to sell my old G5 using a small 250 HD. With only the upgrade DVD. :)