Install Leopard on USB HD from my iMac... then boot my Air with it?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nagromme, Sep 11, 2009.

1. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Any reason I can't install Leopard on a USB drive from my iMac, then move the drive to my Air and boot that?

It's just for emergency purposes, so if trackpad gestures are missing or something, no big deal. I just want a DiskWarrior drive I can use on all my Intel Macs--especially the Air with no DVD drive. (I know I could install OS X using the Air itself--but wireless installation would be slow. Better to install OS X quickly on my iMac via USB.)

Thanks in advance!

2. flatfoot macrumors 65816

If you install Leopard from a retail DVD (not the one that came with the iMac), everything should be installed anyway. Even an install from the OEM DVD should run just fine on any Mac.

So, yes, that works.

3. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

Thanks!

It worked fine. (Wanted to be sure before wasting my time clearing out the drive.)

4. Dobbs2 macrumors 6502

How did you do this? I would really like to do the same.

5. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

I just plugged the USB drive into my iMac, booted the Leopard DVD, and installed Leopard: it asks you what drive to install to, and I choose the external. Then I shut down, connected the drive to my Air, and it booted up. (Hold Option while starting up the Air to be given a choice of boot drives, if necessary.)

6. Dobbs2 macrumors 6502

sorry double post