Install Leopard onto a PB from a MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fastgraham, Dec 31, 2008.

1. fastgraham macrumors member

I have a 12" powerbook G4 running 10.3.9 with a dead CD drive. Can I hook it to my MBP through firewire or ethernet and install 10.5 on the PB from the MBP?

I have the 10.5 install DVD.

Thanks

2. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

It should be possible, put the MBP into FW target mode and see if the powerbook can see the disc in MBP's drive.

It should probably work with the powerbook in target mode and installing to it from the MBP too, but it's probably best to do it with the powerbook doing the booting to make sure it knows it's running on a PPC machine.

3. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

It wouldn't work. The DVDs are made to only work with the model they were shipped with. Even if you share your MBP DVD drive, it wouldn't take. When the installer starts, it will check to see if the system it is installing to (your PB) matches the machine the disk was made for.

There is a way to remove this check, but not sure how to do it. Also, you would need to re-burn the install DVD, which is dual-layer.

4. fastgraham thread starter macrumors member

thanks for your comments.

The DVD I have was not shipped with my computer, it is the stand alone Leopard install DVD, therefore I don't see how it would care what computer is it installing to.

Thoughts??

Thanks and happy new year

5. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

That's different then. I do not know if you can share the install disk over firewire, but if you can, I think it should be fine.

PS Are you sure Leopard will run fine on your PB? I am tempted to install it on my GF's PB after upgrading it to 1GB of RAM, but worried it won't survive the jump.

6. kennyli macrumors regular

Leopard has minimium hardware requirements. It may not works with older PBs.

Also, find a external USB DVD drive and it works.

7. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

I know I've seen my mac minis optical drive when it was in target mode, so I still think that using the MBP as a huge external optical drive may well work as an interim solution.

8. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

it worked for the MBP discs I have onto the gma950 macbook they went on.

Now, Id imagine the MBP NEVER had gma 950 on it.

9. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The 12" Powerbook G4 originally shipped with an 867Mhz G4 CPU which is Leopard's base system requirements.