Install Leopard onto G4Pbook from external disk

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dawindmg08, Apr 9, 2009.

1. dawindmg08 macrumors member

dawindmg08

Trying to install Leopard from an external SATA drive (hooked up via SATA>USB adapter) where I've cloned the Universal installer DVD into it's own partition. This drive worked great for upgrading my mac pro last year but maybe that was because I mounted it internally; trying to run installer app while it's an external drive is not working. Tells me it cannot run from this drive and also does not show up in Startup Disk.

Thoughts?:confused:

JK

2. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

What kind of adapter are you using? I suspect that the physical adapter is not sufficient in itself; it needs some software support on the host computer side, which is not provided by the PB boot prom. Likely the Mac Pro boot prom has a SATA driver.

3. wootdawg macrumors newbie

I believe your problem is that PPC based macs won't boot usb drives, which is how you have your drive connected. I think you may need to locate a firewire to sata adaper (or ext firewire enclosure) to do what you want to do.

4. dawindmg08 thread starter macrumors member

dawindmg08

Yeah woot, that's apparently the problem. May need to just get a FW enclosure or else boot in Target mode and install from another machine.

Thanks!