Install Lion on a Leopard machine using Disc Image?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Travisimo, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

I'm certain this has already been asked, but a quick search did not yield any concrete results.

I have an iMac running Snow Leopard and plan to purchase Lion via the Mac App Store. My wife has a Macbook that's still running Leopard. Will I be able to create a disc image (using the method described after downloading but before installing Lion) and install it to her machine without having to first upgrade to Snow Leopard?

I know the original thinking was that you'd have to upgrade to Snow Leopard first in order to upgrade a Leopard machine since there is no Mac App Store in Leopard. However, the disc image of Lion work or do we still need to upgrade to Snow Leopard first?

Thanks!

2. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

If your wife's machine meets the required specs you'll be able to perform a clean Lion install on a freshly formatted drive. Not sure if Lion can be installed "on top of" Leopard though. Never tried. I'd get her documents off that thing and just do a clean install.

The only reason Apple mentions a prior OSX requirement is for access to the App Store. But once you transfer that Lion image to bootable media you're fine.

3. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

I'm 99% sure Apple have already confirmed you can only install Lion on a partition that currently contains the latest Snow Leopard release, meaning you need to install Snow Leopard, then update it, then install Lion onto that

4. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

You can install Lion clean, but not on top of Leopard.

5. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Nope. Plenty of us here that have done otherwise. Snow Leopard is not required.

6. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

i stand corrected :eek:

7. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

You aren't really wrong. If you ask any Apple minion they'll tell you SL is required as well.

8. Travisimo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, thanks guys. One followup question, if I may:

On her Macbook, there is also a Windows XP partition that she boots to with Boot Camp. If I do a clean install of Lion using the disc image, will this wipe out her Windows install as well, or will that still work with the Option key on startup?

9. jamie763p macrumors newbie

It shouldn't do- just make sure OS X is installed on its own partition, for example Macintosh HD. If you choose that disk when you install the software, bootcamp will work as normal.

10. BlackMangoTree macrumors 6502a

How do you do a clean install without burning Lion to dvd or restoring to a external drive.

11. torana355 macrumors 68000

When you boot up off your created Lion disk and go to disk utility just make sure you don't repartition the drive to one partition, instead just erase the partition that currently holds leopard then install Lion there. This will keep the XP Partition as is.

12. Travisimo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just wanted to followup and say thanks for the tips. I was able to upgrade my wife's laptop from Leopard to Lion without issue. I simply did as you guys suggested by erasing the Leopard partition and installing Lion via the USB image I had created from my iMac install. The Windows XP partition was untouched and works just fine.

Thanks again!