Install Lion on external drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by askywalker, Jan 2, 2012.

1. askywalker macrumors regular

I have a year old MBP with Snow Leopard. I don't have enough drive space to updgrade to Lion. I would like to install Lion on my external Firewire hard drive, and then have the space to install xcode etc.. I have heard it is possible to install and boot from an external drive with a Mac.

I do have bootcamp with Windows 7 - so I hold option when booting to pick between the Windows and Mac installs. I presume if I could dl and install lion, it would show up as a third choice when booting with that external disk connected?

TIA!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Should work fine.

How big is the drive in your MBP?

If portability is still desirable I'd recommend upgrading the drive in your MBP as well/instead.

B

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"I would like to install Lion on my external Firewire hard drive, and then have the space to install xcode etc."

No problem with doing this.

I have my "test copy" of Lion installed on a "bare" hard drive that sits in a USB/SATA dock. It boots and runs just fine (although the bootup time is a little slower due to USB, but this is to be expected).

Since you have a MacBook Pro, with an internal hard drive that can be "swapped out" without too much trouble, I'd recommend a USB/SATA dock if you don't already have an external drive (and don't mind the fact that USB/SATA docks are a "little less portable" than are "enclosed" hard drives).

They can be very useful accessories to have nearby. Here's a good selection:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=usb+sata+dock&x=0&y=0