Install Logic 9 fully on secondary HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by crzghost, Dec 19, 2011.

1. crzghost macrumors newbie

Hi,

This is my first time actually posting something here because I haven't been able to find any answers anywhere; hopefully I'll get one here.

I am trying to install Logic 9 on my MacBook Pro and am currently running a 120GB SSD (boot) and a 750GB HDD (superdrive caddy). The problem is not that I do not have enough space on my SSD but rather don't want to use that space for Logic when my 750GB 7200rpm HDD will more than suffice for performance. Through the installer I have been able to allocate about 50% (25GB) of required Logic space to my HDD but that still leaves me with 25GB on the SSD. What I would like to know is:

Is it possible to install Logic 9 fully on my HDD using some other piece of third party software? (doubtful of this being possible/exists)

Is it possible to install Logic 9 fully on my SSD and move all files over to my HDD and simply run from there?

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

2. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

You can choose where to put the loops at installation. They take up the most space. Other things like instrument samples have to be moved post-install.

3. crzghost thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the answer I thought I would get, I will attempt that. Thank you for the response.

4. mus0r macrumors regular

Pretty sure Logic will break if you put it anywhere but in the apps folder. YOu can, as stated previously, move all the other stuff. That's what will use the most HDD, not the app itself. If you wanna go crazy you can put your sample data on one drive, your audio recordings on another and a 3rd for your OS/apps.

5. crzghost thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry I wasn't clear on that, I have no intention of moving the actual application files (about 2GB for all apps), although I have successfully done this for a game (Batman Arkham Asylum - 10GB single .app file) and it runs just fine. I'm more concerned about the loops, sound effects, and jam packs taking up half my SSD space.